Sunday, October 24, 2010

Juncos, Juncos Everywhere

As the seasons turn, and it gets cooler and cooler, my friends the juncos have returned. Over the past few days, a big flock of them have been swirling about out back, flitting, jumping, swarming, pecking and rooting around thought the leaves and brush. Mixed in with them has been a number of other birds I haven't seen in the yard in a while - a pair of cardinals, a tufted titmouse, a red-breasted nuthatch - and of course, the resident sparrows, are along for the ride as well. The juncos are fun to watch. And I'm not the only one intrigued - the cats are enthralled :-) Ronnie bats at the window pane, while Gigi makes these funny little sounds and creeps up to the edge of the bay window to stalk them through the glass.

I saw a big group of juncos along my running route yesterday too, as well as a few big flocks of robins flying above the treetops. Another three mile run, squeezed in before Ryan took off for the Wolfe's Neck 5k, and Sam and I took off for the gallery for the day. Originally, Valerie had nicely agreed to come cheer at the race and hang out with Sam while Ryan ran, but it was cold yesterday morning! And windy. Sam is a bit sick with yet another cold, and in the end, I decided I just didn't think it would be good for her to be outside in the wind and 30 degree weather for a few hours. But I still wanted Ryan to be able to run.

So since I was on my own at the gallery, and  as it has been mighty quiet now that Columbus Day has passed, and most of the color is gone from the trees, I figured it would work out OK to just take Sam up to the gallery with me until Ryan could pick her up at lunchtime. It ended up working out fine. Ryan said we definitely made the right call to not bring her to Wolfe's Neck as it was super windy over there along the ocean. Sam had a blast crawling around on the wide pine floors at the gallery, and making friends with the few people who came in before lunch. Ryan ended up placing 3rd in the race - hurray! - and then joined us for lunch at the gallery before heading back home with Sam, and while I didn't get much work done with Sam around, I did manage to sell two paintings, so I'll call it a good day :-)

2 comments:

Scout said...

I like your kitties' interaction with birds better than mine...I had a poor, plucked one in my garage yesterday.

I would have had fun with Sam and all the animals at Wolf Neck, but you made the right call; I was sand blasted by the wind : (

Sparkplug said...

Valerie, they would go after those birds if they had the chance!!!
I know you guys would have had so much fun at Wolfe's Neck, but yeah, that wind was brutal. Next time! :-)