Wednesday, November 25, 2009

From Dreary to Happy

After the nice reprieve we have had from typical November weather, the dreary gray days I expect out of this month came back on Monday. Ryan was up at work all day, so it was just Sam and I. We did get out for a walk, but Sam was cranky the whole way and the overcast skies did nothing to boost my spirits. I could never live someplace like Seattle, where it is rainy and overcast a lot of the time! I seem to be really affected by the weather. Usually exercise will snap me out of it, but for some reason I was really feeling it on Monday.

Yesterday I was supposed to work, but my boss wasn't feeling well, so Sam and I just ended up going up to the gallery for a few hours in the morning to catch up, which was fine with me! It was quiet and I cranked through what needed to get done. When I got home, Ryan was just headed out for his run and upon his return, it was my turn. I hadn't expected to be able to run yesterday so it was a bonus workout! Hurray. I did the 3-mile out-and-back on the powerlines and felt pretty good. The gray skies only accentuated the bright red of the winterberries in amongst the otherwise barren bushes, and as I slipped and slid in the mud, I had to smile - it was good to be out.

The run also made me realize that despite November being my least favorite of the months, it does hold my favorite holiday. These days it seems like all holidays are simply one marketing ploy or another to get consumers to buy something, send something, spend something. And yes, while Thanksgiving has that aspect as well, it rings truer to me than a lot of the other holidays. There are no gifts, no costumes. There is always a Turkey Trot to run, and any holiday that involves running is a good one! There are family and friends getting together to laugh and talk and eat and drink and enjoy each other's company. I know that I often forget how much I have to be thankful for. It is easy to overlook how lucky I am and easier still to get caught up in the day-to-day gripes and worries. Yes, life is not perfect, but I am happy. I am healthy. I have wonderful family and friends. I am married to my best friend. And this year, to add to the list, I have a beautiful, healthy little daughter, who we stare at in wonder every day, even if it is wonder at how little she is sleeping or how much she is crying :-) How could I not be happy?

And so with that, Happy Thanksgiving everyone! Wish us luck with our first long car ride with Sam later this morning! We're headed down to Ryan's parents for a few days. That means many hands to hold Sam ... maybe Ryan and I will even be able to sneak out and get in a run together?!

3 comments:

mindy said...

Hope the car ride is going well. I bet Miss Sam will take it just fine. Danielle, you always know how to measure the good with the bad and keep smiling - Sam is so lucky to have such a great example in a Mommy (and Daddy). Happy Thanksgiving to the Triffitt Family!

Sparkplug said...

Thanks Mindy! She slept the whole way. Hurray! Have a great Thanksgiving and enjoy all that yummy sounding food you're making :-)

Scout said...

I'm with you - hate November, love Thanksgiving. Hope you get to have your run with Ryan!