Sunday, November 29, 2009

Burning off all that Turkey and Pie

Thanksgiving morning Ryan and I got out for a run on the roads around his parents house. While Ryan had originally hoped to race a Turkey Trot that morning, he said a slow run with me was just as good... or hopefully at least less painful! :-) We left Samantha in the capable hands of her grandparents, great grandparents and aunt and uncle, and set off on our merry way. Skies were overcast and it was a bit humid, but we had a nice time, chatting as we ran through along and generally enjoying a bit of "us" time. The 3.2 mile loop took us 29:20. It is the first time I've run all on roads, and flat roads at that, since I've been back running, so I was happy with the pace, and even happier with the company :-) A great way to start off the morning.

Of course, we returned to hear that Sam had cried most of the time we were gone... Do you think babies know when their parents head out the door?! But luckily, no one was too upset about it, and she was a great baby the rest of the day, and very happy to be passed around from relative to relative. We gorged ourselves on a yummy turkey dinner, stuffed ourselves with pumpkin and apple pie, and then of course, went back for "snacks" around 8pm before bed. Ah, Thanksgiving!

Friday morning dawned rainy and nasty. A perfect stay-inside day. Except that I really wanted to run. But I put it off, hoping the rain might stop, or I might feel less guilty about not running as the day went on. In the end, I went out around 3pm, fueled mostly by frustration over the conversations about scheduling Christmas. Man, it is tough to try to make sure everyone sees everyone at the holidays! Anyway, a run seemed a good way to escape it all, and I ended up doing the loop in 27:47. Oops. Guess running to escape something means running fast (or at least fast for me at this point!). Saw a pair of hooded Mergansers on a small pond along the route, which made me smile, and calmed me down a bit. I came back soggy, and with a clearer head, knowing that it will all work out in the end and that I had at least burned off a few more bites of the pie and ice cream I had eaten with lunch :-)

No comments: