Thursday, July 16, 2009

The Smells and Tastes of Summer

This morning I ran down the powerlines for something a bit different. I haven't been past the Highland Green Road turn-off in a while, and I'd forgotten how beautiful it is along the lines. The red berries of the bunchberry plants shout out from amongst the underbrush. I counted seven wood lilies too, their deep orange flowers sticking up from the mass of greenery. The blueberries are ripening, and I stopped along the way to eat a few mid-run. Yum. The sweet smell of ferns rises up in the air. Several goldfinch fly overhead, and the twitter of sparrow, robin, phoebe and towhee calls accompany me as I slowly run along.

I also got out Tuesday morning, but that run was a struggle, so I am happy to have gotten in a good run this morning. The mellow 3 miles were just what I needed today to start the day off right.

No comments: