Monday, July 27, 2009

A Day Off

We awoke to low fog and a bit of rain, so it didn't seem like the best day for hiking. Instead, we headed to Broadway Deli for a yummy breakfast and then walked up to Bowdoin to go to the art museum. Unfortunately, the museum was closed (ah, the problems with having Mondays off), so we decided to drive to Portland to check out "The Call of the Coast" at the Portland Museum of Art instead. Customers coming into the gallery keep telling me it's a great show, so I've been wanting to check it out. There were some really nice examples from the Monhegan, Ogunquit, Cos Cob and Old Lyme art colonies on display. Of course, as soon as we hit Portland, the skies cleared and it got warm and sunny! Ah well.

After enjoying the art, we headed down to Commercial Street for some lunch. We ended up at Sapporo for some yummy sushi!


Snowman with his Bento box lunch!


My veggie lunch combo. Yum!

After lunch, we decided to play tourist and wandered the streets for a bit, popping into a few stores now and again to cool down. With the sun out, it was in the 80s and muggy, and I was definitely feeling it. But the cool breeze off the water felt really good! After a while, I had had enough and we got back in the car to drive north. We detoured off the highway, and drove out to Mackworth Island to check it out.

The island has a nice little beach and an approximately 1.5 mile trail around the perimeter. There was a great breeze as we wandered along the path, enjoying the views of Portland the harbor along the way. Definitely a nice afternoon walk!


Me at 28 weeks 6 days, on the ledges along the backside of the island.


I had hoped to get in a run this afternoon, but walking around Portland and Mackworth Island, combined with the warm day and the humidity made me rethink my plans, and I sent Snowman out alone upon our return home. I'm not too concerned though, as tomorrow is another day. Besides, I had a great day and lots of fun :-)

And just in case you need another photo from the day, here is one of Ronnie and Gigi looking out back as Snowman grills our turkey burgers. Aren't they cute?!

5 comments:

middle.professor said...

Did you visit the pet cemetary?

Sparkplug said...

I guess we missed it. Where was it?

middle.professor said...

About 1/2 way around. There is a nice stand of white pine and a little cemetery with a big stone wall. About 50 yards off the trail (away from water). In the cemetery are Governor Baxter's dog's and horse! Something to save for next time.

Anonymous said...

Ooh - that creeped me out - I had to run away to escape the scariness while Nate poked around.

Anonymous said...

Oh - that was me, didn't mean to leave off my name. - Shannon