Saturday, July 4, 2009

Cathance River Trail Run

Unfortunately, I had to work today. However, at least we were starting the day a bit later than usual, in an attempt to miss the Wiscasset 4th of July parade chaos going through town. This meant that I got to sleep in a bit and get in a good run. Hurray! Snowman nicely agreed to join me on a run in the Cathance River preserve. Of course, I'm pretty sure the only reason he came with me was so that he could be sure I didn't get hopelessly confused out on the singletrack or fall off any of the slippery bog bridges :-) Regardless, I was happy to have the company!

We headed out from the quarry over into the Heath, and then down to the river,which was running high and fast, and looked like a flowing stream of coffee with cream. Such a pretty section of trail. Of course, I could tell that I've been doing most of my running in the past few months either on pavement or in the Commons! The twisty, turny single track with its little bumps slowed me down quite a bit, and I definitely felt like I had lost a bit of my "trail sense." Ah well. I was really happy to be out there, enjoying it! We got in a little under 5 miles in an hour, and despite the slow pace, I felt pretty tough for being out on those trails at 25+ weeks :-) Of course, I was also muddy and pretty soaked by the time we finished, as it was another 98% humidity morning!!

2 comments:

middle.professor said...

yes we need another TMR at Cathance - maybe followed by some white water rafting.

sn0m8n said...

I agree 100%. I've got a pretty groovy loop carved out from my house, about 6.5. I think I could extend that to about 9 without much effort. If I add on a serpentine loop around the Mt. Ararat trails, it would be even longer. Plus, I'm looking at a way to make bigger loop using the powerlines.