Friday, May 1, 2009

1, 2, 3 Commons

All my mid-week runs this week have been in the Commons. This is not a bad thing. The Commons is familiar, allows me to keep off the roads, is quiet, and is a pretty mellow way to get in 5 trail miles, which is what I'm looking for at this point. I've come to the slightly painful but probably reasonable conclusion that running 25k at Pinelands is not in the cards for me this year. I was really thinking I could do it, but I am just not sure it's a good idea. I did feel good when I ran my 10 mile run there a few weeks back, but the fact that that 10 miles took me almost two hours, and during the race I would have another 5.5 to go, makes me realize that running for 3 hours at 20 weeks pregnant, starting at 10am on what is typically a warm weekend, just isn't the way to go for me. I'm a bit saddened by this realization, but I accept it. Pinelands will be there next year. So this year, I will be a happy spectator and "crew" for Snowman as much as he needs it. I'll likely be taking care of little Finley too, while Shannon and Nate are running their own races. It will be a different experience, but fun nonetheless. Hence, the reason that I am not worrying about getting in long runs at this point.

But back to the Commons... I went out Wednesday morning for a run before work, which was eventful except an unanticipated but very necessary pit stop halfway through (sorry if this is TMI), and headed out this morning too. This morning was misty and foggy. The woods were quiet, and the greyness of the morning seemed only to enhance the carpet of green that is now emerging on the forest floor. Amidst the greenery, the fern fronds are beginning the unfurl, the starflower stalks are making an appearance, and the Common Wood Sorrel and False Rue Anemone have started to bud, although their delicate blooms were curled up tight against the cold today.

In the first pond, I noted a Great Blue Heron as well as what I think was a mink, gliding through the still waters. There were also a number of Phoebes flitting about, as well as one Goldfinch singing away at the top of a slender tree. I heard a Woodpecker picking away up high as well as a Red-eyed Vireo, but could not see either. A good morning for casual on-the-run birding :-)

4 comments:

middle.professor said...

No trillium yet?

We'll miss you on the TMR 25K team but I'd say you made a good decision. I'm sure snowman will take advantage of the extra attention too.

Sparkplug said...

Jeff, the trillium don't seem to like the Commons that much. Maybe it's the sandy soil? However, I'm looking forward to all the lady slippers blooming! There are 100s!

As for Pinelands, I will just have to be the TMR's designated cheering section, which will be fun too! :-)

Jamie Anderson said...

One probably can't have a better reason to have to withdraw from a race (well, maybe a suspected case of swine flu.. pffffffft).

See you tomorrow!

Sparkplug said...

Thanks Jamie :-) I'm still a bit bummed, but there is always next year!