Monday, May 4, 2009

3 Miles and 16 Weeks

Although feeling a bit tired out from yesterday's first hike of the season, I nonetheless got up and out for a 3 mile run this morning. Of course, part of that was due to the fact that Ronnie the cat decided that at 6:25, I just had to get up and feed him, and was sitting up near my head, purring like crazy, and pawing at my face. Gotta love it! The second part of the reasoning for getting out for a run this morning was that I had a doctor's appointment at 9:30 am, and as I am always nervous going to the doctor's, I figured it would be a good way to get out my morning nerves!

According to the doctor's office, I am 16 weeks 5 days along. We heard the little one's heart beat again, although s/he kept moving around, and the nurse practitioner had to chase it across my stomach with the dopplar device to get a good reading of the heart beat, which was 140. I also was happy to learn that I've only gained 5 pounds so far. I know I am going to be gaining weight no matter what, but it is still a strange thing to no longer be in control in this regard. Whatever ends up happening will of course be fine, but I'd love to keep my weight gain towards the lower end of the recommended range! Of course with all the food I've been eating, we'll see how that goes :-) The next visit will be for an ultrasound. I hope the little one is cooperative and is willing to let us learn the sex! What are the bets? Boy or girl?

Flora and fauna highlight from this morning's run: One Eastern Towhee, singing from the bushes at the edge of the Highland Green Road.

7 comments:

middle.professor said...

what's the little one doing in your stomach?

Unknown said...

Hey Danielle! Here's my carefully thought-out prediction: I just consulted my own pregnancy journals and discovered that at 16 weeks I had gained 5 pounds also! When I was pregnant, about 6 zillion people (and their mothers) told me that less weight gain=boy and more=girl, so you can see where I'm going with this. Also - Finley's heart rate was around 150 at that time. The old wives tale that I've heard is that girls will have higher heartrates and boys lower.... So, as much as Nate and I both can only picture you with a GIRL, I'm writing down BOY in ink. (50/50 chance of being correct, right?!)

Unknown said...

P.S. Nathan is weighing in, too: he says it is a girl.

Sparkplug said...

Jeff, ok, ok, you got me... but you know what I mean!

Shannon, we'll just have to see if the old wives tales pan out :-) But, I'll put in one vote for girl/one for boy!

mindy said...

It's a girl! When is your appointment?

TANK said...

Twenty bucks says it's a boy.

Sparkplug said...

Looks like everyone is evenly split... well, hopefully we'll know for sure on the 19th!