Friday, May 15, 2009

Ladyslipper Run

I headed over to the Commons this morning for a run. I ended up only running 5 miles, as opposed to the 6 I had hoped, but stopped only because I was starting to get pretty warm (it felt very muggy out) and had run out of Gatorade, and didn't want to push it. It was nice to end the run feeling good, and I'm happy to still be able to be out running an easy 5 miles. I am also happy because today I saw my first ladyslippers of the season! I look forward to this time of year, as the ladyslippers seem to love the composition of the soil in the Commons and are always abundant. I then can spend my runs counting the ladyslippers. Yes, I am dorky, but it keeps me amused :-)

Ladyslipper count: 32. There are definitely more beginning to emerge from their leaves which I didn't count. I'm sure I'll get those next time!

Other flora and fauna seen: The rhodora is also starting to bloom in the wetter spots. The pinky-purple flowers set against the green is always so pretty. The blueberry bushes, low strawberry plants, white and purple violets, wild oats, starflowers, blue bead lilies and goldthread were amongst the other plants blooming in the woods.

Birds seen include a great blue heron, kingfisher and mallard on the first pond, as well as a wood thrush, goldfinch, two swallows, phoebes, chickadees and sparrows. I was too absorbed with the ladyslippers to really listen carefully to all the bird song, so I know there were others out there, I just could not focus on the song enough to distinguish the individual birds.

No comments: