Sunday, October 12, 2008

Out to the Ocean

The plan was for our last "long" run before next weekend's big event. Unfortunately it appears I've developed a bit of a cold, as I spent all day yesterday sniffling like mad. And even though I went to bed early, I just could not get to sleep. Ack! But at least we hadn't set the alarm, and I managed to sleep in until 9am, which was nice. After a big breakfast of french toast and home fries - yum! - I was feeling fine, still a bit stuffy but not bad. So, I decided I would stick with the plan and join Snowman for our 8 mile run.

I had made the suggestion yesterday that we should do a run where we could get down to enjoy the ocean, so Snowman mapped out an out-and-back down to the end of Mere Point Road. Neither of us have ever been down that way, and from the maps it appeared we'd have some nice ocean views near the turn-around point.

It is yet another beautiful blue sky day here in Maine, and the turning foliage is looking gorgeous along the roadside. The fields where we parked to head out were filled with sparrows flitting in and out of the grasses. The road had much more traffic than we expected, but otherwise it was a nice, pretty flat run. Towards the end of the point, we were running through a more exclusive area with beautiful homes right on the water. The sunlight was shimmering off the ocean, and boy, was it pretty.

We kept the pace pretty easy and finished in 1:10:45. I felt decent, but I think I'll be taking the rest of the week extra easy so that I can kick this cold and feel my best for the marathon!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good luck at MDI! We've been following your training and you and Ryan are well prepared for sure and will do great! After the pain subsides you will be addicted and ready to plan your next long race. Ann & George

Sparkplug said...

Thanks for the nice note, Ann and George!
So, how was the 50 miler?!
And yes, running is addictive and we're already thinking of the 50k at Pinelands next year :-)
Hope to see you soon!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for asking, I came, I finished, met all the cut offs, but definitely a pack of the packer on this one. Emma, Ian and Chuck were the pride of Maine and had GREAT runs!

George