Thursday, October 23, 2008

Feels Like Winter

The car thermometer was reading 28 degrees when I got in at 7am to drive to the Commons for a mellow 3-mile recovery run. During the run my nose was running like crazy. Most of the brightly covered leaves are now carpeting the forest floor and the narrow single-track path on our "normal" 3-mile loop is now a bit more maneuverable, as the bushes no longer hold their leaves. Back at home, we've turned on the heat. Next weekend we turn back the clocks, so that it begins to get dark at 4pm. Yup, winter is on its way.

The run went well. My right calf was a bit tight and I didn't have a ton of pep, but overall, my legs felt good. I can now walk up and down the stairs with no problem, and am really not feeling sore anymore. Encouraging, certainly, but I still plan to take it easy for the next few weeks, as I don't want to overdo it. Some say recovery from a marathon takes 26 days, one day per mile run. I don't know that I went all out for all 26 miles, but I think the cumulative effect of the miles certainly adds up! Again, the short-term plan is to ease back into running and not go nuts.

Last night we signed up for the Feaster Five, down in Andover, Massachusetts. We'll be spending Thanksgiving with Snowman's parents, who live nearby, and this should be a fun Thanksgiving morning race, certainly giving us leeway to eat a whole lot of pumpkin pie that afternoon! :-) Snowman's sister is also running the race. She surprised us by signing up for the 5-miler without much of a push from Snowman. It will be her first road race, which is very cool. Go Meghan!

No comments: