Thursday, August 28, 2008

Change of Plans

OK. So, we all know it's good to be flexible. But as many of you know, I like to have things scheduled out. According to the schedule, we are supposed to be hiking from Rangeley to Stratton this coming weekend. We already bailed on this section once. And we have two, count 'em, two weekends to do this section if we want to hike it before we start our vacation hike of the 100 Mile Wilderness and Katahdin. I do not want to have any sections remaining when we head into the Wilderness. When we reach Katahdin, I want to be done. I mean that in a good way, but I want Katahdin to be our last steps of this AT hike.

That being said, Snowman is having a bit of a meltdown. I want, and need, him to be healthy. I want, and need, him to be happy. But I need us to finish Rangeley to Stratton. So, I put my planning skills to work, and came up with four options. 1) Continue on with the set plan, and do Rangeley to Stratton this weekend; 2) Stay home this weekend and do Rangeley to Stratton next weekend; 3) Stay home Saturday, run in the morning with the Trail Monsters at Bradbury, then go up and hike the Crockers from Caribou Valley Road (part of the Rangeley to Stratton section which is doable as a day hike) as a day hike on Sunday (8.2 miles). Then next weekend, either 1a) stay home one day and hike Rangeley to Caribou Valley Road as a really long day hike (24 miles) or 1b) do Rangeley to Caribou Valley Road as a two-day backpack; or 4) do this section after our 100 Mile Wilderness/Katahdin hike.

I do not want to do #4.

I think #1 would make Snowman hate me, hate backpacking, get hurt, get angry and be super grouchy. #2 has the potential to do the same.

So, that leaves us with #3. #3 means a less stressed out Snowman, a chance for some relaxation, and the chance for us to get this section done. It does have the downside: no time for a long run next weekend, as I don't think it would be smart to do a 22 mile run and then a 24 mile hike the next day if we choose to do the day hike, and of course if we're out backpacking I'll be hiking both days. But that's OK. It will all work out. I'll either get in a 15 mile run as a compromise, or make an attempt to do 20 miles one day before work (want to take bets on that one?! That means a 5am start at least!)

So, yet again, a change of plans. Just to keep things interesting :-)

1 comment:

sn0m8n said...

I'm confused. When do I get to go #2?