Thursday, May 22, 2008

Mid-week 4

I got up and out onto the powerlines for a 4 mile run this morning. Although the forecast was saying it was going to rain today, the sun was shining, the birds were singing like crazy, and the flowering plants and shrubs are really coming to life along the powerlines. The purple rhodora is a beautiful accent against all the greenery, and with all the blueberry flowers out, I'm definitely going to have to hit the bushes later this summer for some yummy low-bush blueberries! Saw two mallards in one of the "ponds" near Topsham Crossing, as well as two eastern towhees singing away, robins, sparrows, a goldfinch, and other heard but not identified.

I felt a bit creaky this morning, to steal a word from Snowman, and am also really feeling my allergies. Although I love seeing all the greenery come to life, it also means my allergies come alive, leaving me with itchy red eyes and runny nose. Ugh. I'm hoping this won't affect me too much on Sunday during the race. Speaking of the race, I'm getting a bit nervous... I mean, I know I can run the course. But can I run it at a good pace? I have a goal time in mind, but who knows if it's realistic. Yes, in theory, it is realistic, but sometimes that thing called reality just gets in the way :-) Regardless, it's bound to be a challenging morning, but a fun one! I'm planning on a nice mellow 3-miler Saturday morning to loosen the legs up, and from there, I guess I'll just see how it all shakes out...

No comments: