Thursday, May 15, 2008

Commute Another Way

This week is Commute Another Way week here in Maine. Cordelia and I had already talked about carpooling when we could, and decided this would be a good week to try. So today she is picking me up. With our schedules, we could only work out the one day this week, but it's a start. Since I won't be driving to work this morning, I thought I'd go "carless" all day. It's not often that I don't use a car at all. I'm either driving to work, to run or hike, to get groceries and do errands, etc. Amazing, when you think about it. Unfortunately, I work about 17 miles from where we live, and the drive is along Rt. 1, which I wouldn't want to bike even if I was a biker, as part of it is a 4-lane highway. So, driving it is.

Anyway, to further my "carless" day, I ran from home, heading down the powerlines for a 5+ mile out-and-back. Felt a bit tired, but didn't run any slower than the past few times I've run this route. Anyway, it was a beautiful morning to be out, and aside from the guy on a dirt bike who scared the pants off me down by Topsham Crossing as he roared past, the run was uneventful.

Flora and fauna reports: Saw an eastern towhee in the bushes by Highland Green, as well as a beautiful male goldfinch singing away, along with the requisite robins, sparrows, blue jays and others which I can't yet identify just by song alone. Oh yes, and one turkey! Lots of wood anemone and blueberry bushes in full bloom, as well as some rhodora coming into bloom too.