Thursday, March 8, 2018

Back to Winter

Well, we are back to winter this morning...


Honestly, once the snowshoe series was done on Sunday, I just wanted all the snow to melt. I am ready for spring and running on dirt and flowers blooming! But let's face it, the reality is that March is still a winter month, and apparently spring weather is not quite yet in the plans! So, we will enjoy today's snow day and hope for some warm weather to melt it all away soon 😉

Tuesday morning I got out for a run down in the Cathance. I managed to run the first and last 1.5 miles without traction, as there was a bit of tackiness atop the ice/snow that remained and lots of bare ground running out towards the Heath, and then put on my Hillsounds for the middle portion of the run. As is typical right now, it was variable conditions out there but the majority of the trail sections still covered with snow are still packed enough to run comfortably on. Overcast morning. (6.2 miles)

Yesterday morning, it was back to the hills that I had put on my schedule. Mt. A. is still partially ice-covered and therefore not yet a good choice, so I decided to take Ryan's suggestion and go check out the water tower hill loop that he used last year in his VT 100 training. He tends to drive down to the mill and park there for his workouts, but adding on driving to my morning is just not a good use of my time, so I chose to run the 1.5 miles down to the start of Summer Street instead. The sidewalks were clear and there was little traffic so it wasn't a bad start to the run. The run up into Topsham Heights really is a good climb and the final stretch up to the water tower is most definitely a steep one! I did two loops with four climbs up to the tower and then headed back up the road toward home. I was happy with the run overall, as I was definitely working despite this mostly being a recon run to see how the hills and route were. I will definitely be back, as I think Ryan is right that it's as good a spot as any around here to get in hill work, and on a clear day, the sunrise would be beautiful along Summer Street looking out over the river and the mill! (6.6 miles)

No comments: