Friday, July 3, 2015

Whiskeag Trail

I can't believe I haven't spent time on the Whiskeag Trail until today! It really is a cool trail. The southern end of the trail starts right at the Bath YMCA, so after I dropped Sam off at camp this morning, I donned my pack and headed out. The trails starts off in pine forest and meanders across several roads, runs along Whiskeag Creek, passing quiet vistas filled with lily pads, through Sewall Woods, along quiet pastures, and out along the edge of the Kennebec River to end at Thorne Head Preserve. For being so close to a small city, this trail seems like it is in the middle of nowhere. I only came across two sets of people, one couple walking their dogs in Sewall Woods and two women out hiking near the end-point at the Thorne Head parking area.

My legs felt pretty good, but today was a meander. I stopped to take in the views, to listen to the osprey call above the creek, to take photos at the viewpoints, to wander out onto the rocks near the edge of the Kennebec. The partridge berry was blooming in the woods, the field I ran next to was filled with cow vetch and thistle, the air was fragrant with the smell of ferns and beach roses. The trail was much more technical than I would have suspected, mostly due to very rooty terrain and a lot of little ups and down. I really liked the variety of terrain along the 5-mile end-to-end trail, and just had a great time out there. It was the perfect way to get in 10 miles this morning!

Nice trailhead sign

Whiskeag woods

Partridge berry

Cool tree

The route was well-signed the whole way. The only spot I got turned around was when it went through a cemetery!

Along the Kennebec on a gorgeous day


Love the clouds today.

Field full of cow vetch and thistle

Thistle

Lily pads abounded

Along Whiskeag Creek

No comments: