Thursday, August 2, 2012

Still

Still ~ as in:
1. There was no movement in the air whatsoever, no rustling, no noise, no breeze, all was still and quiet.
AND
2. I still have this darn cold!

Sam was in stage 3 clinger mode this morning when I headed out for my run. Always a lovely, feel-good way to start a run! Not to mention, I wasn't going to see her again until after work, as in order for me to get my run in and get to work by 9:00, Ryan was going to take her into daycare today. *Sigh* Ryan said she was fine soon after I left, but it always makes me feel pretty terrible when I leave her and she is like that.

I headed across the street with a plan to run 7 miles. As I was running on the Mt. Ararat trails I realized I could run 6.75 instead, since Monday's run had been 5.25 :-) I decided I would try the cart paths if there were no cars in the lot. Luckily, there weren't, so that is where I headed. With the overcast above and no birds chirping, it felt unearthly quiet out. It must have been 99.9% humidity, and the air felt so heavy, it seemed to be weighing me down. In fact, I felt like I'd taken a swim instead of a run by the time I was done, I was so sweaty! Crazy. That, and the fact that I still am feeling the lingering effects of last week's cold, meant that I was breathing heavily despite the relaxed pace I was running. Still, it was nice to be on the cart paths. I could just put myself on auto-pilot and go; no real need to watch my footing, etc.

I did veer off the paths to run the Heath Loop for a little additional mileage partway through the run. As I took my first step on the boardwalk at the end of the Heath, right where the outlet stream feeds into the little pond where there is a beaver lodge, I noticed a body print on the boards. A beaver print! Tail print and everything! He must have just plopped up onto and across the boards on his way back home. Funny. Also saw a mama turkey and her two little chicks crossing the cart path along hole #8. Did hear a towhee singing, and a woodpecker pecking towards the end of the run, but otherwise, all was quiet.

No comments: