Saturday, August 25, 2012

40

Sam has never been a good sleeper. We had hoped that when we changed her from her crib to her bed she'd sleep better, but let's be honest here, she really hasn't. Oh, there have been a few "sleep through" nights, but most nights I'm up once or twice, going in to settle her down or move her back to the head of the bed. She is an active sleeper to say the least. Last night, we set up a blanket bed on the floor her, thinking that perhaps she just might sleep better if she had a bit more room to move and shift around while sleeping. She was exhausted, so went down early, and was asleep by 7:15. I went in once, around 9:30 or so, when she was crying out. She was caught up in her blanket and hot, so I took that off and settled her again on her pillow. Maybe a half hour later, I heard a thunk and went in to find that she'd shifted off the "edge" of the blanket bed into the edge of her real bed. I shifted her back over, rubbed her tummy and that was the last I heard of her until 5:15 this morning. For her, and for me, that is pretty good! I woke up briefly once, but rolled right over, so I'm going to say I got 7 hours of sleep. Hurray! The first thing she said when she woke up was, "I took a good nap for you, Mama." I find it interesting that she instinctively knows when she's had a good night's sleep.

Since we were up so early, we had a few quality hours of Mama and Sammy time this morning before I headed out for my run. I wanted to "make up" the 4 miles I had missed yesterday, so I ran the short Highland Green loop with an additional loop on the road/cart path/Heath/Quarry to get in the extra mile. It was foggy and heavy out, and I was pleasantly surprised to find that I actually felt pretty good after yesterday's run. Even with the mix of pavement and trail, I managed to run around 8:30 pace, so I'll take it. Today's 4 brings this weeks' mileage up to 40, a pretty good number for me, and 6 days of running. I'll likely drop back into the 30s again next week, as we're going back to Wolfe's Neck tomorrow to camp overnight and I won't have a chance to get in a long run during the week, but at least this week's miles feel like a step in the right direction.

2 comments:

middle.professor said...

have you seen the south park episode with Cesar the dog whisperer? If not, you should.

sn0m8n said...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ffaPjasnyU