Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Seven and One More Rhyme

This morning, we were all up early. Ryan only because Sam decided it was imperative that I leave the container of pumpkin muffins I had made for her last night open on the coffee table. I tried to reason with her that I was closing said container to keep the muffins fresh, and to prevent the cats from licking them, but she is 2 1/2. There is no reasoning with 2 1/2. To her, it had to be open. I did not want it open. And so, there was a meltdown. Now, I could have easily opened it back up after telling her why it should stay closed, but I really didn't want to give in. I mean, this was a ridiculous discussion. There was no need for the container to stay open. She had her muffin and I had told her she could have another after she had finished the first. I wasn't taking the muffins away. I was simply trying to keep them fresh. Ryan eventually could take no more of it, and came down to intervene. Sigh. Sam cheered up and moved onto another distraction soon enough, but I think the whole incident might have set Ryan off on the wrong foot for the day.

I dropped Sam off at daycare early enough to have time to run 7 miles, and Ryan decided to join me, which was a pleasant surprise. We decided to head out onto the powerlines for the dump loop, which would give Ryan a few outs should he not feel up to the full route. While I was glad to have him along, I could tell he wasn't super happy with how the run was going from the start. I think it was too early in the day for him, along with the terrain being more uneven than he would have wanted. So he was grouchy and I was anxious about his grouchiness. My, we were a cheery pair :-) We modified our route to skip the little loop around the pond where there is a lot of soft sand, but Ryan ended up peeling off around 4 miles to head back alone anyway. I figured if I picked it up, I might be able to catch him somewhere on the return, depending on how long his chosen route back came to be, and how fast he was going. I caught a glimpse of him crossing Tedford, just as I was cresting the hill before Rt. 24 and knew I would likely not catch him, as he was probably 1/3 of a mile ahead of me. But I gave chase anyway. In the end, he saw me coming along the powerlines and stopped at the top of the hill by Highland Green road for me to catch up so that we could run the remaining mile or so in together. I hope once he is feeling better that we can have some happier runs together. It is nice to have his company out there, at least when he isn't being a grouch :-)

And to end the post on a lighter note, here is one more nursery rhyme interpretation by Sam, this time of the end of "Old McDonald Had a Farm," plus a bit of "The Bear Went Over the Mountain," in which Sam is trying to sing "to see what he could see" but it comes out as "to seeka seeka see." Too funny!


2 comments:

Jeremy Bonnett said...

Too cute!! More great miles!

mindy said...

I can imagine trying to explain freshness to a 2.5 year old is a tough conversation...ugh. Glad you and Ryan at least got in a few miles together. Hopefully his recovery will continue to progress - you'll soon be cruising through the O-trail together!