Friday, August 5, 2011

No Stonecat for me

We had a great time in Baxter but I am totally bummed that I came home to find out that Stonecat was already full! Race registration opened on the 1st, and while I thought the races would fill fast, I had no idea that by Wednesday afternoon, both the marathon and 50 miler would be full! Whoa. It figures that registration would open during the only four days of the year that we were totally cut off from internet access or phone service. Stinky... A lot of our friends got into Stonecat, and I am totally psyched for them! I just wish I could join them :-)

This puts a serious kink in my fall racing plans, and well, it looks like I can erase the training plan which led up to November 6th! :-) Needless to say, I spent a lot of yesterday, in between working, pondering what to do next. MDI is full too, so that is out, and unfortunately, due to scheduling conflicts, I am not available the weekend of October 1/2 or October 15/16, so no Maine Marathon (or any of the other road marathons happening that weekend), Pennelville 50k or Bimblers Bluff 50k. There is one option out there that looks like it would work - Pisgah 50k - but it is on September 18th, which is only 6 weeks away! The more I think about it, the more I think I'll be signing myself up for it anyway, but it will certainly mean that I really have to ramp up the training during the next four weeks, which would leave me with a two week taper. A 12 mile race thrown into that taper period is OK, right?! :-)

I got in a nice 5.25 miler on the powerlines last night after Sam went to bed. I felt tired, and my legs felt a bit tight, but it was nice to get out. It was humid, but there were some delicious blackberries to be eaten along the trail, and I scared up a few deer in the brush. A family was out picking blueberries near the end of the powerlines, enjoying their own evening, and I wished I had had time to stop and pick a big bucket full myself! Instead, I headed home to eat dinner with Ryan - turkey burgers, potatoes and corn, all expertly cooked by the best hubby in the world :-) Perfect.

4 comments:

Scout said...

I'm bummed you didn't get in to Stone Cat also : ( I totally enjoyed sharing the experience with you and Rick enjoyed the same with your dad. I think the way you've been going you'll have no problem with the ramp up.

Sparkplug said...

Thanks Val. I will miss running with you too! And I know my dad had fun talking with Rick. Oh well, next year :-) Can't wait to see how you do with all the great running you've been doing, though!!

pathfinder said...

The Maine track Club 50 miler is now called "Farm to farm" and it a 12 mile or so loop and I think mostly trail instead of road (Erik would know more)
Also there is Mindy's 40 for 40 and Mount Epic

Sparkplug said...

Kevin, thanks for the note. The Farm to Farm looks interesting. I'll definitely keep it in mind for next year, but this year I'll be up in Bar Harbor cheering on Ryan, and the other TMs, who are running MDI!! Oh well, as you said, there are other races out there - I'll find one for sure!