Sunday, August 23, 2009

Bradbury Hike

By real hiking standards, Bradbury really isn't a mountain. It's more like a hill. But it is called Bradbury Mountain, so I'll call today's walk a hike :-) Snowman was planning to meet some of the Trail Monsters there for a run this morning, so I tagged along. They headed to the fun singletrack trails on the east side of the park, while I headed up the South Ridge Trail to the summit and the trails on the west side.

There was a nice breeze blowing, but it was definitely still heavy out. The woods were quiet, with the exception of the leaves shifting and shaking in the wind. I had the summit to myself, looking out over the green valley with a few red barns and a white church steeple visible. I could see out to the ocean, but just barely. From the summit, I headed down the Tote Road, where I came across the one person I would see on the trails during my time out - a biker who we had seen in the parking lot earlier. I said hello, and he said, 'I figured you were running with those guys and thought well, that is one crazy lady!' I laughed and said 'No, not that crazy.' Although really, I did wish I was out there running with everyone! Still, I enjoyed my walk in the woods. It was very peaceful, and nice to get a decent workout in.

I got back to the parking lot in exactly 1:00, logging 3.1 miles, just in time to see everyone come back to their cars after loop #1 on the Scuffle course. They all headed out again, and I made myself comfortable at one of the picnic tables under the pine trees with my book until their return. A good morning :-)

Then it was home to tidy up the place and get things crossed off the 'to-do' list, as my parents are arriving tonight for a visit!

In last week's running news, I did get in two more runs, although Thursday's run turned into 1 mile of running and 1 mile of walking. The little lady was clearly not happy with the running, so I walked the rest of the way back. Oh well. Saturday's run was more successful and I got in a nice 2 miles on the powerlines. I had intended to go further, but it was just so muggy out that I decided not to push it, as I am definitely feeling the heat and humidity a bit more these days. I did of course made my requisite stop to eat a few blue and blackberries along the way :-) Can't pass those up!

3 comments:

middle.professor said...

It's good to be crazy! I'm impressed and amazed at how much you are getting out on run/hikes and enjoying the Maine summer at 32+ weeks. Cheers!

mindy said...

Awesome to see you yesterday. Glad you got in some good miles and a relaxing read at the picnic tables, definitely a good day! Looking forward to having you back out on the trails with us (and meeting the Little Miss :)

Sparkplug said...

Thanks guys :-) Mindy, good to see you too, and Jeff, hopefully we'll see you soon! And yes, I agree, it is good to be at least a little crazy :-)