Saturday, July 26, 2008

Birds on a Wire

Went out across the street this morning for a 5 mile run. I turned off the powerlines onto the Highland Green road, took the pavement down to the end, and turned around. Not super imaginative, but not a bad out and back. I felt a bit tired, probably from pushing a bit on my run yesterday, but that's OK.

Enjoyed a few yummy blackberries along the powerlines, but the highlight of the run was the 13 turkey vultures I saw! Yes, 13! And even better, 11 of them were sitting atop one high tension line pole. Two of them were atop the vertical poles, while the other nine were spread across the horizontal pole. Very neat!

In other running related news... It's official: we are nuts. I signed us up for the MDI Marathon up in Bar Harbor on October 19 last night. It was Snowman's idea, but I admit to going along with it. Although as Snowman says, he remembers me telling my mom right after the 2006 Maine Marathon, "Mom, I don't think I'm going to do that again." Well, guess one should never say 'never' :-)

Also signed myself up for the Bradbury Breaker. This is one of the great Trail Monster Running races that Ian is putting on this summer. I had to miss the Scuffle in June, and we'll miss the Bruiser in September as we'll be on the trail in the 100 Mile Wilderness, so I figured I would get out there and run this one. It features 2 loops up and over the summit of Bradbury Mountain. It's going to be a tough one, but should be a good training race!

2 comments:

Jamie Anderson said...

Hard to believe it won't be too much longer before the turkey vultures and other summer visitors (people too!) will be migrating back out.

I'm volunteering at the Breaker, so I'll see you guys there. See you guys also at MDI (I'm running that one).

-Jamie

Sparkplug said...

Jamie,
Ryan is working on the 10th, unfortunately, so it will just be me. Don't know if he got the better end of the deal doing the Scuffle or if I will with the Breaker! :-)
See you there!