Friday, February 15, 2008

Slip Slidin' Away

After Wednesday's storm of 6-8" of snow, followed by sleet, followed by rain, followed by cold temps, all of which made for some wonderfully thick ice out and around town, I did not get a run in yesterday morning. However, it warmed up into a beautiful sunny day which, combined with Brunswick's clearing of the bike path, made it possible for Snowman to get his run in during the afternoon. So, I figured it would be smooth sailing this morning. Perhaps with a few patches of ice to content with, but nothing that I couldn't handle. I awoke to a thick dusting of snow. Hmmm... perhaps it would be a bit more interesting on the bike path than anticipated. Oh well. I was up, so off I went.

My car was on the only one in the lot at 7:01 am, but Brunswick DOT had already made one pass along the path, clearing most of the snow off one side. Not perfectly, but enough to be able to distinguish between the pavement and the ice. I decided not to don my Yak Trax, as although they do a great job, they definitely feel heavy on the feet. They would have helped in some spots, but in others, they would have just been dead weight. I made my way along, waving multiple times to the plow guy as he went by three times during my 5-mile out and back run. You have to give these guys credit! Things pretty much went run run run, slip, run, shuffle, slip, run run run, slip... Not my most graceful effort, but all in all a good morning run and not super slow either (43:00), which given the conditions I was happy about. And now it's off to work!

2 comments:

sn0m8n said...

At 4:15, it was totally clear...well, there were a couple pesky puddles.

Sparkplug said...

Yeah yeah...