Tuesday, February 19, 2008

Katahdin

As this week is vacation week, there is no Nordic Meisters, so we are home for the day, Snowman working and me with a bit of free time on my hands. I spent the early morning running around town doing errands and then drove up to Lewiston to go to the Bates Art Museum.

David Little, an artist I know through the gallery, had been involved in creating an exhibition that was showing at the museum. The exhibit, "Exploring a Contemporary Vision of Conservation at Katahdin Lake", featured works by artists who had participated in the conservation of the area around Katahdin Lake, which was subsequently transferred to Baxter State Park for preservation forever. There were two charcoals by Marston Hartley as well as a work by James Fitzgerald of Katahdin, both well-known early 20th century Maine artists, and then a series of works by the contemporary artists. Very neat. In conjunction with this exhibit was a display of photography depicting different scenes and areas around Katahdin Lake and along the Thoreau-Wabanaki Trail. Some interesting photos of people skiing, snowshoeing, canoeing, etc.

I was glad I made the trip up to check the exhibitions out. And boy did seeing those images of Katahdin make me yearn to get up there. What a magical place. Can't wait for September!

2 comments:

BS Hero said...

Very cool! I love the artwork!
(I had to bookmark them on my site). Thanks for sharing!

Sparkplug said...

Tank, glad you enjoyed the art! I think it was extra special to see the images of Katahdin as we have such an emotional attachment to it :-)