Sunday, March 3, 2019

Catching Up

Monday was a planned zero day but Tuesday ended up being an off day too, because "heck no if I want to run outside when the wind is whipping like crazy, it's dark and the temperature is feels like negative something and can this ice just go away?!" 👿 Yup, I'd say that pretty much sums it up! 😂😁

Of course that meant I was out running in the cold windy icy darkness on a feels like -12 degree morning on Wednesday morning because, well, just because we want to throw a hissy fit doesn't mean sh*t still doesn't have to get done! So I layered up in a million-and-one layers and did a few loops around the neighborhood. On the upside, we are gaining light quickly at this time of year, which is nice! (5.0 miles)



I was still having a hissy fit over the weather on Thursday so instead of running on what was yet another cold dark windy icy morning, I snuck in a few miles in the late afternoon between work and swim practice. Hit up the bike path for a quick out-and-back. It wasn't completely ice-free and there was still a bit of wind, but at least the sun was shining brightly! (5.0 miles)

Back in the day, we used to run over that bridge... silly kids! #bbxc 

Friday morning, I stuck close to home and headed out into the Cathance. I was pleasantly surprised to find that conditions were pretty solid and the trails were nicely packed throughout most of the trail system. I headed farther out in the hopes that I'd find similar conditions along the Ravine Trail but there hadn't been enough traffic out there, so I turned around and retraced my steps along the river. Always a lovely view! (10.0 miles)

Followed up the run with a massage, which I always enjoy because it certainly seems my legs need the loosening these days and because it's fun to catch up with Lauren during the hour that I'm in her office!


Saturday morning, I headed out just as it was getting light out and ran an out-and-back on Highland Green Road followed up by a loop through the Highlands and back up Maine. Kept it nice and easy. Sidewalks are riddled with icy slicks from the melting snow but it was quiet enough that I could run in the streets most of the way. Quiet, overcast, windless morning. (7.0 miles)

Then it was off to Orono for Sam's end of the season Y States meet.

Time spent driving: 3 1/2 hours
Time spent sitting in the stands: 3 1/2 hours
Time spent actually watching Sam swim her three events: Less than 3 minutes 😂

#swimlife

Cheering on her teammates

She swam a really good 50 free, getting a PR for the distance, but honestly the thing I love best about watching her and her friends at these meets is how they cheer for each other and support each other. LRSC is a great program and we're so glad Sam has found this team to be a part of and found something she enjoys so much! If she swims well too, it's just icing on the cake 😊🏊

A nice coating of snow fell overnight and it was a beautiful morning, as we made our way over to Bradbury for the last snowshoe race of the series today. Sam found Anna and Elise and headed right out to play in the snow as soon as we arrived, and I settled in to chat and help and cheer. The sun was shining, it was fairly warm and it was just a nice day to be outside. The course was on the mountain side, so it was a tough one but everyone seemed to have a great time! A good way to wrap up the series!

Once Ryan got home, I headed happily out into the sunshine for my run. I followed the fat bike trails along the snowmobile trail and was pleased to find that I felt decent, given that it was 3pm and I had stood around at the race milling about, chatting and helping at the finish line for 3 1/2 hours. A good way to finish up a rest week! (5.1 miles)


Follow the fat bike tracks!

And just for fun...

On Thursday, I dropped Sam off for chorus practice and went into school to check out her artwork on the walls. Her art teacher does some really neat units with the kids, and the two most recent art lessons/pieces have been inspired by Maine artists. I love this! I was also extra excited by this particular unit as when I was working at the gallery, Keith had a number of William Thon ink drawings and several watercolors, and I remember just loving the simplicity and elegance of his works. And I love Sam's interpretation with the bright cheery yellow sails 😍



No comments: