Thursday, March 21, 2019

Spring!

The redwinged blackbirds and grackles arrived out back over the weekend. Days are getting longer. There's still snow on the ground for sure, but there are a lot more bare spots too. The daffodils have risen about an 1" about the ground outside of the door at work in a nice sunny protected spot. Those truly glorious spring days aren't quite here yet, but oh they are coming!

Tuesday morning, I met up with Amy G for a run, redemption from last week. It still felt like winter - 19 degrees. Brrr! - but there was no wind and the moon was big and yellow and shining brightly in the sky. I ran over to their place - about 1.6 miles - and then we ran a 5+ mile loop down through Topsham Heights, across the bridge into Brunswick, up Water Street to the bike path, looping back across the Connector to Elm Street and through the neighborhoods back to their house. It was such a nice morning, and we caught the sun rising over the Androscoggin along the Connector bridge. Of course, I had to stop for a photo because that it just what I do! πŸ˜€ I enjoyed chatting with Amy while we ran along and it was a treat to have a friend to run with in the early morning darkness! (8.4 miles)

Sunrise over the Androscoggin

After I picked Sam up in the afternoon, we went out for a short walk around the neighborhood. Walking and talking 😍 (0.8 miles walked)

I turned off my alarm and just plain went back to sleep yesterday morning, so no running πŸ˜‚, but Ryan texted later in the day to ask if we were walking and would we wait for him. Of course then there was traffic and he suggested we head over to the Heath, so it wasn't until after 5:30 before we started. Sam was like, hey, it's dinner time! πŸ˜†πŸ˜† Ha! But it was truly a lovely evening and we had a great family walk in the woods. The trail was surprisingly solid, with a fair amount of ice but a good bit of packed snow. Lots of deer and turkey tracks, and we did a bit of off-trail exploration out onto the edges of the Heath, the kind that is only possible in winter when the bog is frozen over. A great way to finish up the day with my two favorite peopleπŸ’— (1.2 miles walked)


Sunlight through the trees




Busy beaver!



Turkey tracks 

Early evening light



πŸ’•

This morning, inspired by the conditions last night on our walk, I decided I'd run out into the Cathance. I was really surprised by how decent it was last night and thought I'd get in one more run out there before tomorrow's rain and the warm temps that are forecast for over the weekend. Who knows how the trails will be after all that? I was able to run up to the top of Mt. A. without putting on my spikes, which was nice, and then found the snow nice and firm the rest of the way, with a lot of icy spots out along the singletrack. As I headed back around the Heath, I caught the sun rising in a few different spots. I was a bit too early for the truly spectacular pinks and purples over the bog but could see the sky lighting up as I ran back along the golf course and once I hit the clearing before heading back up Mt. A. Truly glorious. Definitely worth getting up and out for! (6.1 miles)




Sky aglow through the trees



No comments: