Friday, March 15, 2019

A Little of This, A Little of That

Oh March, you are a fickle month! Weather is variable, we're gaining light but with daylight savings I'm back to a headlamp in the mornings, it rains, it snows, it melts, it freezes. Certainly keeping me on my toes anyway!

Tuesday morning I headed out in my screwshoes into the darkness. After Sunday's rain/snow and warmer temps, things are melting in the warmer hours and freezing up overnight. It was pretty icy out and I was glad to have the screwshoes for a little added stability! Ran over to Highland Green Road and took the back road first. Wanted to get in a little bit more than just the 5 mile loop, so ran down to the river and back and then continued on back home. Back to darkness after daylight savings so it was a headlamp run until almost the end, with a pretty light in the sky on the return trip along the powerlines! (6.0 miles)



Now that swim season is over and the days are longer, my plan is for Sam and I to get out on a walk or run a few days a week. Tuesday we did three loops around the neighborhood, walking the first two and running the last loop. (0.88 miles walked) There is a late spring/early summer swim program that will start up after April vacation, but in the meantime, it's a good practice to get out and move with Sam, plus it's always fun chatting with her as we walk along 💕

I never made it out of bed on Wednesday morning but willed myself out the door on Thursday, even though I really did not feel like it. In fact, I was supposed to meet up with Amy Goode, who recently moved to Topsham with her hubby, but I bailed. We had gotten about an inch of snow overnight, I wasn't feeling great, and I really didn't want to be dodging plows on the main roads and running on nasty sidewalks in the dark. I felt badly, but I know we'll have other chances to meet up! I told her I was going to stick closer to home and run a bit shorter, so I headed across the street and ran laps up and down and along the high school and middle school roads. Once again, I wore my screwshoes and was happy to have them. I did end up dodging a few plows in the school areas, but otherwise the side roads were quiet. (6.0 miles)

After I picked Sam up in the afternoon, we headed out for walk #2 for the week. It was a bit raw out, with lots of puddles to dodge and jump, but we got in a nice walk up and down our street and around the neighborhood. (1.1 miles walked)


Mom, stop taking my picture!

But she's so cute, I can't resist! 😍

I knew it was supposed to rain today, so I had already planned to run shorter today and long tomorrow. Dreary morning but not raining when I headed out. I knew I’d be doing my long run on the roads tomorrow so I thought I’d see how the trails were today. Snowmobile trails a bit soft and once I hit a huge puddle off that swallowed up the trail down near Tedford Crossing, I aborted to the back dirt road which was pretty sloppy.

As I ran up Highland Green Road, I couldn’t resist heading down to check out the Cathance trails and was happy to find them pretty solid! I went out and back along the river, which was flowing nicely. Still a lot of snow in the woods, with some stretches of ice and only one small bare spot to be found.

The rain started with about a 1/2 mile to go on the trails and then it was solidly pouring rain for the final 2+ miles back home on the pavement and snowmobile trail. Soaked! (8.5 miles)






No comments: