Thursday, August 23, 2018

Mid Week Catch-up

Managed to get out of bed and out the door on Monday morning for a run. Always good to be back on my home trails 💗 Nice cool morning. Legs a bit creaky from all the travel and running on concrete over the weekend. Saw one deer. Most definitely losing light quickly in the morning. Going to be headlamp time sooner than later! (6.0 miles)


Wednesday morning, I got out on the cart paths before the rain. Overcast and a bit more humid. Once again, one deer seen and creaky legs. (6.0 miles)

This morning, I headed up to Riverlands for my long run. We are camping at Wolfe's Neck with all our college friends this weekend, and I took off today knowing I'd prefer to get my long run done before the weekend and hoping I could cross a few things off my to-do list too!

Parked at the Conant Road entrance and headed out at 7:30 am. Nice and cool, only 59 degrees. Ah, fall is in the air. How lovely. Ran last year's course back to the main park entrance. Although I've run here multiple times now, I forget how rough the ATV trails are in terms of footing and how rolling the terrain is. Still, it was a great morning to be out running! Saw a barred owl fly across the trail and we stopped to watch each other for a bit before he flew further off into the woods. Later, a pileated woodpecker called and then flew across the field in front of me. Always a treat! Some lovely views out along the river and then a few nice miles of singletrack. 





Got back a few minutes before 9:30 and hit the bathroom, changed my shirt and had a Snickers bar. I mean, isn't that what everyone is eating at 9:30 am?! 😉

Perfect timing, as when I walked back into the lot, Val had arrived. She had very nicely brought a bottle of water for me, so I quickly refilled my pack and we headed back out onto the trails. It's always great to catch up with Val, and she was showing me the revised course, which is now 12.5 miles in length with some sweet new singletrack added. New trails, hurray, and some really pretty stretches! Definitely rugged though. We stopped to take in the view, because really, why not? It sure was lovely!


Saw tons of mushrooms, one big porcupine, one dead mouse in the middle of the trail, one deer, tons of frogs jumping into the big puddles along the ATV trails, and a few toads too. 



It really was a great day for a long run, with a good friend, and a beautiful place for it! 💖 (22.6 miles)

Stopped to hit Target and the grocery store on the way home, but not before I stopped for this 😀 This is the perfect recovery food after 22+ miles, right?! 😜 Maybe not, but it sure was delish! 🍦


And to cap off the day, here is one of the fox kits out back, just sitting down and enjoying the birdseed I put out. 😍 Adorable! The skunk and raccoon came by later too 😄 Just another night in our backyard!




No comments: