Sunday, February 25, 2018

A Little Bit of Everything

The past few days have featured a little bit of everything... 21 road miles on Friday, a good screwshoe run on the powerlines/snowmobile trail yesterday and a mixed bag Hillsounds trail run out in the Cathance this morning. It seems shoulder season has arrived early this year, but of course, as I type, snow is falling... crazy weather!

Friday morning I headed out around 7:00 am while Sam and Ryan were still asleep. I decided to do the same loop I had been attempting last Friday. It was a bit colder and windier, and admittedly, I felt a bit less peppy but nonetheless, the roads were in good shape and I was moving along fairly well. As with last week, I wasn't sure how I'd hold up in the final half of the run and although the hills along Meadow definitely made me work for it, I was able to keep things pretty steady pace-wise. Happy with the effort, and glad to get in a solid road run in right around 3 hours, but honestly, road running is rough - the pounding is real! 😏 My legs were most definitely tired when I finished and I managed to get a blister under my left pinkie toe.  I never get blisters!! 😁 In any event, a good way to kick off a Friday and good to have cracked 20 for the first time in this training cycle! Fauna-wise, I saw one bluebird out in the fields along Meadow Cross and two separate groups of 8 turkeys foraging in the fields on Meadow. Oh, and I most definitely ate the whole of this big, delicious cupcake after lunch 😀 (21.0 miles)

Yum! 

I got back in time to see Ryan and Sam off to the trampoline park for the morning. Sam had a blast jumping around and they finished up the excursion with lunch at Elevation Burger. A good excursion on the final day of winter vacation!

Jump!

Lost in the tubes, somewhere...

Bounce!

Whee!

Saturday morning, I got up and out for a creaky run around 7:30 am on the powerline/snowmobile trails out around the dump. The hail/sleet/little bit of snow that we got overnight made for a nice, tacky surface, perfect for screwshoe running. The rising mist and light were gorgeous, and with temps right around freezing, the trails were solid snow and ice, which actually made for some pretty decent running. Hadn't been out that way in a while and it was a nice change of pace. (8.0 miles)

Rising mist

Morning light

Through the trees

The afternoon was spent up at the Y for Sam's last regular season swim meet. Irene and Dana came up to watch too so she had a good cheering section, and she has most definitely improved since she started swim team back in the fall. It's been fun to see!

50 free

This morning, I got up and out around 7:30 am again for a run out in the Cathance. It was a full on mixed bag of conditions, from bare ground to large patches of ice, and packed snow to open water. Hillsounds were the weapon of choice and most definitely needed. The river was roaring and I even found a patch of ice pancakes mixed in with some foam - pancakes and syrup, anyone?! 😆 (7.0 miles)

Roaring river

Lots of ice and water

Along the river

Pancakes and syrup

The snow didn't start falling until around 10:00 am, right as Sam and I were picking up her friend Mazie to come back to the house for a playdate and shortly after Ryan headed out for his run. The snow started fast and furious, and hid some ice that he managed to hit and fall on. Ugh! 😔 That shortened his run up, but seems like he didn't do too much damage. This time of year, you just never know what the weather is going to throw at you! Which no doubt means it will be back to the 50s midweek this week 😂

Happy to finish up the week with a solid 47+ miles and extra happy that this coming week is a down week. I need it! 😀

No comments: