Friday, August 25, 2017

Summer Cold

Sadly, although I wanted to wish it away, the cold I picked up from Sam was on its own schedule. Monday, I took a day off from running but got out both Tuesday and Wednesday morning. Tuesday was a nice morning running the cart path with a lollypop down to the river and back in the middle for 8 miles. The plan called for more, but I was trying to be at least not totally idiotic ;) I kept the pace relaxed and felt fairly decent, all things considered. Nice morning with a pretty pastel sunrise.





Wednesday was not quite as successful of a morning run. It was 67 degrees with a dewpoint of 67 and therefore 100% humidity, but not raining. It was so heavy out, and honestly, I felt pretty terrible. A 6 mile road run that was supposed to be at a quick pace but I had no energy and didn't even try. Ugh ugh ugh.

I was smart enough to realize that I probably needed to adjust the rest of my week so I scrapped the long run on Thursday and took the day off, with the plan of a Whiskeag run on Friday, long run on Saturday with friends and a short run around Wolfe's Neck on Sunday to finish up the week. As is typical with me, the training I have planned never fails to have a plot twist here or there ;) (good read), and I am resigned to the fact that this week will be lower mileage than I had initially hoped, but oh well, I'm doing what I can do and just trying to enjoy the ride. Of course, plot twists just keep right on coming, and things were almost derailed even more so last night when I woke up to a soft "mommy" that just meant something was wrong. In this case, the something wrong was a pile of bright pink throw-up all over Sam's bed and pillow. Oh yah, nothing like raspberry sorbet to make things look mighty pretty on the other side! Eekkk! The bed set and mattress pad and pillow were simply thrown out, the kid was cleaned up, new sheets put on and we put her back into bed, fingers crossed that it was just the combo of too much ocean water swallowed on yesterday's field trip combined with the hot dog, slushee and koolaid that she had on said field trip for lunch 😬😬

Thankfully, she went right bak to sleep and this morning seemed perfectly fine. After watching over her for a while, seeing that she was eating and acting OK, I dropped her off for her last day of camp for the summer, which was to be a fun camp carnival, and I headed out onto the Whiskeag Trail to test the legs and lungs. It was an insanely gorgeous morning - crisp and dry and sunny with a nice breeze. Just lovely! Today is the first day I've been on the Whiskeag all season, and it is still as rooty as I remembered ;) Hard to get a decent pace going but no matter, I was taking it easy and meandering along, stopping for some blackberries here and a photo there :) A good if slightly pokey 11 miles for the morning. Still sniffly with a lot of stuff being snot-rocketed out of my nose, but better than Wednesday for sure, and hopefully on the up and up!!

Along the horse fields

Low tide with Cardinal Flower

Confluence of the Kennebec and the Whiskeag

Happy, sniffly runner ;)

Sporting my snazzy Creeping Death Tour crew shirt 😂

The Narrows Trail along the river

Hard to tell in the photos, but so many lily pads! Beautiful!

Looking forward to a long run with Laurie and Vicky out at Wolfe's Neck tomorrow and a great weekend hanging out with friends! 

No comments: