Sunday, August 20, 2017

Quiet Weekend

Yesterday was a quiet day. Ryan headed to the Brad for a morning run while Sam and I slept in and then headed downtown for donuts at Frosty's (yum!) and exploring the Brunswick Arts Festival which was set up and down Maine Street. A good morning although both of us were tired! The rest of the day was spent at home, relaxing, which was much needed.

Yay donuts!

This morning, I was up early to get in my run but Sam had other ideas and woke up coughing and needing her inhaler (poor kid!), so I hung out with her for a while to let Ryan get a bit more sleep. I finally woke him up around 7:45 and headed out shortly after.

The plan called for a few more miles but I've definitely picked up some of Sam's germs and have a bit of a head cold, so in the end I decided on 12 miles out and back to Head of Tides, which was a bit more reasonable in terms of time and mileage but would still make it a decent week overall without overdoing it.

It was a nice sunny morning but extremely humid and even though the run was more of a meander, I finished up totally soaked - sweat was literally running down my legs into my shoes. So lovely! Ugh. Still, it was an enjoyable wander through the Cathance and I even found a new trail segment down along the river, which was fun.

Hints of fall

Damselfly (middle) on the Cardinal Flower along the river

Pretty color constrast

It was such a nice day that after lunch, we headed over to Wolfe's Neck for a short walk, just to get some air and some movement. We saw Tami right near the trailhead and she decided to join us, bringing the park's big viewing scope with her so that we could get some awesome viewing of the three juvenile osprey up on the nest and then out to some of the ledges at the end of the Casco Bay Trail where seal often hang out. None were to be seen today but it was fun nonetheless! It was low tide, so we wandered along the shoreline, looking at hermit crabs and green crabs, learning about sponges and seaweed from Tami and about the rock runnel that I found up out of the water, which was something I'd never seen before. Neat! It was a nice, mellow way to get outside for a bit this afternoon, and we all enjoyed having our own ranger tour from Tami too :)

Beautiful view

On the rocks

Looking at the hermit crabs along the shoreline

Low tide

We watched this Great Blue Heron catch a fish and then try to figure out how to eat it. It was pretty neat!

By the time we left the park, it was after 5:00 pm so we decided to head into town and go to Little Saigon, the Vietnamese restaurant Ryan has been wanting to go to. With Sam and I both still feeling stuffy, a big bowl of warm soup sounded like a good idea and it was delish! A good way to end the weekend!

Noodles!



No comments: