Wednesday, September 9, 2009

Sleep

People keep telling me to get as much sleep as I can before it's too late. I haven't gotten a lot of crazy advice, but this one keeps cropping up. And it seems sound. The problem is that although I would love to sleep, I am not sleeping well. Perhaps this is the body's way of preparing us soon-to-be-mothers for the nighttime feedings. I am not supposed to sleep on my back. The left side is best. So, I start out on my left side. Then my arm falls asleep. I wake up. I clumsily roll over. I hear a noise outside. I'm restless. I have to pee. I get up and go to the bathroom, returning to snuggle down on my right side under the covers. I am hot. I kick the covers off. I finally fall asleep again, only to awaken to my right arm being numb, and my hip hurting. I lay on my back for a minute, to just stretch out a bit. The baby shifts, digging into my rib. I sigh and roll back onto my left side. I wake up 45 minutes later and have to pee. I slowly roll out of bed and pad to the bathroom. Upon my return, Ronnie wakes up. He comes up to lick my face, in an attempt to get me to go downstairs and feed him. I ignore him. He purrs, and licks my forehead. I give in, and pad downstairs to feed him. I come back up and lie down. It's getting light out. The alarm will go off soon. I fall asleep for 5 minutes, and then it is, once again, time to get up.

At 35 weeks today, these are my nights. Don't they sound restful?

Despite this, I have managed to get up and out for my 2-mile "run" two days in a row. I know I am lucky to still be able to get out on these beautiful mornings, but seriously, I am damn slow, and my body feels heavy. Ah well. Only 5 weeks left. Or is it 3? Or 6? :-)

4 comments:

mindy said...

I'm so psyched to hear that you're still running - truly inspiring! The home stretch approaches. I hope you can get some naps here and there and feel rested. I can't wait to meet the Little Lady and I'm sure you can't either!

Sparkplug said...

Thanks Mindy! I know, it will all be worth it when the little lady arrives :-)

Have a great weekend up in the Valley, and hopefully we'll see you soon. Maybe next weekend?!

sn0m8n said...

For those keeping score: I'm snoring.

Scout said...

I think people are just wishing sleep for you. Most people who have been pregnant know it's nearly impossible in the last month. That said, maybe Ryan's involvement is more than just the snoring...those "craptastic" songs may be taking their toll!