Saturday, February 23, 2019

Vacation Week Running, Swimming and Camp Fun

Sam had a great vacation week at Riverview doing all sorts of cool stuff like sledding, snowshoeing, going snow tubing at Seacoast Adventure Park, making fruit and veggie maki rolls, doing chinese-inspired bamboo paintings and creating a scroll with chinese characters and a spirit animal (hers was mountain lion).🐯 Such fun! She also did her swim team aquathon on Tuesday night, swimming 75 lengths in a hour 😀🏊💪, and today she had a swim meet! I'd say we've kept busy! 😂

On the running front, I got out on Wednesday morning for a few water tower hills. The sidewalks were icy and the roads were a bit sketchy without a lot of open shoulder but the sunrise was glorious and even if it wasn't the fastest, at least I got in a few hills! (6.4 miles)

#hillwithaview

Friday, I headed over to Brad for my long run. It was a gorgeous morning as I headed up to take in the view from the summit. The snowmobilers had definitely been out on the Northern Loop and the trail was a bit soft and churned up, with most of the side trails not touched much at all by people on foot, so I crossed the street and found the singletrack trails on the east side nicely rolled for the fat bikes. Despite the nicely groomed surface, things were still a bit soft but overall, not bad. I meandered around until 8:30 and then looped back to the lot to meet up with Anne.

We ran an out and back on the snowmobile trail, chatting away as we ran along. It was nice to have company for a few miles midway through my run - thanks Anne!! 😀 Always good to catch up!

Once I dropped Anne back off near the lot, I still had 7 miles go get to 20. The pace definitely slowed a bit in the final 1/3 of the run, but I just put in my ear buds and ran along. Listened to the Morning Shakeout interview with Mike Wardian - he is one crazy talented dude! A few bikers had been out on the singletrack since I had first run them and with their tracks, things were a bit more packed and runnable. I meandered around on the east side for a few miles and then finished up with a final trip to the summit. Temps had been steadily rising during my run, and in the final few miles, the snow was definitely getting that tacky feeling beneath my Hillsounds, but all in all, a good morning and glad to have gotten in my miles! (20.0 miles)


This morning, after dropping Sam off for her warm-ups at the swim meet, I headed out for a quick road run before her first event, which of course was event #1 for the meet, so time was at a premium! Another gorgeous morning, complete with three bald eagles soaring above and a nice view looking out onto the Whiskeag. (6.0 miles)



I'll wrap up the week with the 10 miles I was supposed to do today 😉 and hopefully get it in before the rain/snow starts!



No comments: