Monday, February 18, 2019

Snow Running Fun

Finally a few days in a row where the snow running has been at least fairly decent. Hurray!

Saturday we headed over to Val and Linda's for their annual Mockingbird Lane birthday get-together and run. Ryan was planning to run long and I was hoping to get in a lap plus a little time out on the trails with Sam. In the end, it all worked out pretty well - Ryan got his miles in, I got a late morning lap in and Sam and I had a nice little walk on the trails together in the morning, well, after a slight meltdown over not wanting to wear her snowshoes anyway 😂😁

We started out right after the runners and both of us ended up abandoning our showshoes, as they were not needed with the nice firm surface. We saw everyone heading back up from the river, enjoyed a bit of downhill running and saw lots of turkey tracks! (1.4 miles walked)





Wheee!



Turkey tracks

Down at the river


Around 11:00, enough people had finished up their runs that I felt comfortable heading out for a lap on my own while Sam hung out inside. The sun was shining brightly and conditions were pretty decent. The wind was cold but otherwise, it really was a lovely morning to be out, and I was glad to be able to at least get out for a lap before heading back inside to eat all the yummy things people had brought! (5.5 miles)


Sunday morning dawned cold and bright. I headed out a little before 7:00 am for my long run. I had originally planned a road run but thought I'd try the powerlines first, thinking they might be nice and firm (finally) after another cold night. The powerlines themselves were a mixed bag with some good running, a lot of ice and a lot of death cookies, ie. big chunks of snow and ice churned up by the snowmobiles, but it was decent enough that I kept going. I ran out on the Lovers Lane loop near the dump and found some nicely rolled winding trails that meandered through the woods out on either side of the dump pond. The trails made for some really nice running! A bit later, I ran into a group of mountain bikers who said they'd been maintaining and rolling these trails for riding, so I thanked them for creating such a nice surface for me to run on! The deer also apparently appreciated the trails as there were tons of prints along the way 😀 It was fun to wind around in the woods on nice flattened snow (and bit of ice) and I did several "loops" before making my way back out to the main powerline trail.

Morning frost


Fun trails!

I added on a loop on the roads around the high school to round things out, and was very happy to have gotten in my miles! (20.1 miles)

Today, I have the day off from work but Ryan is working and Sam is at camp, so I am free for the day! I reached out to Val to see if she was up for a run, thinking she is someone who is almost always up for a run 😂 She invited me to join her up at her place, so we ran the fatass route again with a little bit extra to bring Piper back to the house midway through the run. A light snow was falling and there as a bit of wind, but the trails were in good condition and it was fun to catch up as we ran along! Thanks for the run, Val! It was just what I wanted and needed for today!! 😀 (6.2 miles)

No comments: