Saturday, May 24, 2014

Head of Tides

The plan for today called for us watching Sam's friend Anne this morning so that Phil could run the canicross at Pineland with Quint, and Kristen could run the 10k. That meant getting to Pineland around 9:30 am. So in order to get in my run beforehand, I was up early, so early in fact that as I sat down with my coffee and breakfast I caught a glimpse of a fox out back, likely the one who has been calling/barking up along the fenceline the past few weeks. Our eyes locked for a few seconds before he took off. I took off myself around 5:45 am, setting out for Head of Tides. It was a nice morning, but overcast and very humid. The river was very pretty, the water spilling over the rocks, the riverbanks lined with bright green moss and ferns. I spotted many more wildflowers blooming this time out in the woods than two weeks ago. Purple violets, white swamp violets, gold thread, several blooming ladyslippers, blue bead lilies, wood anemone, starflowers, bunchberry and some beautiful magenta fringed polygala.

Fringed polygala from today's run
The final slope down to the parking lot at Head of Tides was covered with lily of the valley. It's going to smell beautiful there in a week or so when all the flowers are out! The edge of the grassy area was awash in blue forget-me-nots. I stopped for a moment there, and watched a Great Blue Heron soar gracefully over the water before getting back on the trail for the return trip. As I rounded the Heath on the way back, I noticed that the rhodora were in bloom - the swamp was awash in magenta blossoms. Saw a few cala lilies blooming in the swampy area too.

Ended up with a nice 12 miles, and got back home just after Sam and Ryan rolled out of bed. Perfect! Then it was off for Pineland for a fun morning of watching the racers and dogs, and chatting with friends.

No comments: