Wednesday, April 16, 2014

Snow and A Passing

Snowy.
Sloppy.
Squishy.
Slow.
Silvery sky.
Six am run.

---

At 7:15 am, a text came through on Ryan's phone. "Are you up?"
And I knew.
Phyllis was gone.
She has been very sick, and had been in the hospital since last week. The decision had been made over the weekend to put her on hospice care, to make her comfortable until it was her time to go. I am glad she did not suffer in the end, but I wish she could have gone peacefully in the night, without incident, without the hospitalization, and without the pain it caused Ryan, his parents and his grandfather to see her there. Although I know she had a very full, rich and happy life, it is always hard to have a loved one go. Phyllis was such a vibrant woman, so full of life. It is hard to reconcile that image with what I know were her last days. And so, I will just remember her as I knew her, happy, laughing, playing with Sam, quilting, following along as we hiked the AT, sitting at the computer emailing and reading my blog for updates on Sam and all our crazy antics. You will be missed, Phyllis. We love you.

On our wedding day, October 10, 1999

At Meghan's wedding, June 2008

October 2009

December 2009

October 2011

November 2011

December 2011

March 2012

November 2013



2 comments:

unstrung said...

Aw, :( Sending much love to a beautiful spirit. Hugs to you-all.

Anonymous said...

so sorry..I've enjoyed pictures of her, especially the ones with Sam.

Ann