Friday, April 18, 2008

Run in the Commons

As I write this, it is currently 60 degrees, already! Hurray for spring :-) When I headed out for my run this morning, the car thermometer was reading 45, but that's still pretty nice. Nice enough for no gloves, which is a first this spring for me. I did a loop around the Bowdoin playing fields and then headed down onto the connector to the Commons. Things were pretty dry, with only a few stubborn patches of snow remaining, mostly in the Commons themselves where the amount of traffic through the winter has packed down the snow. It was a beautiful morning, and as I'm sure I've mentioned in recent posts, great to get out on the trails and be running on dirt and not snow or pavement all the time! I'm excited the Commons is pretty much snow-free, as I have multiple 5-mile runs on my schedule over the next few weeks, and the Commons is perfect as an out-and-back 5 miler.

Flora and fauna report for today: The woods were pretty quiet this morning, with the exception of all the birds chirping in the trees. The skunk cabbage is emerging from the swampy areas and there seems to be a hint of color on some of the tree branches, but not much. Of the three visible osprey nests along Route 1 on my way to work, two currently have pairs guarding the nest. I always love to see these distinctive birds, sitting high in their nests, set against the blue sky, as I drive north.

No comments: