Friday, April 25, 2008

Powerlines Run

I feel sort of like a broken record, but another beautiful day here in Maine! Bright and sunny and 40 degrees when I started my run. I decided to head out on the powerlines from home. Snowman has gone farther along them than I have, so I talked with him to make sure he felt comfortable with me running alone out there and he did, so I decided to go for it. The powerlines are great, as they are truly a mix of steep ups and downs combined with some nice flat stretches. Later on in the run, the trail went through some nice open field areas, which were actually quite pretty. I decided to try mapping out the run quickly on mapmyrun.com, which is a pretty cool website, and it indicated my out-and-back was 5.25 miles. Glad it was a bit longer than 5 miles as it took me 49 minutes. I was definitely trying to take it easy, but 10 minute miles might have been a bit too easy! Anyway, I felt good on the run, and it finished off a 25 mile week for me, which I'm pretty happy about.

Flora and fauna notes: Lots of birds chirping away! On my way toward Topsham Crossing, a mallard duck was in the middle of the trail. There are some swampy shallow pools off to the left of the trail, and when I got about 2 feet from him, he finally flapped away into the water. On the way back through, there were three mallards (all males with brilliant green heads shimmering in the sun) in the water. Who knew?

On another running related note, Snowman went for a 3-mile test run this morning and said he felt good! Yeah :-) I'm sure you can read more about it at some point soon on his blog.

No comments: