Tuesday, January 8, 2008

Nordic Meisters

Today started the 8-week Nordic Meisters series up at Great Glen. For those of you who don't know what Nordic Meisters is all about, it's a fun citizen race series that Great Glen has been holding for over 10 years. Basically, anytime during 9am and 3:30pm, you put on your skis and your bib, and race the set 5km course. Your time is tabulated and there is an age adjustment, and then you see where you stack up! In the past, I've typically been about the middle of the pack, but it's a fun way to get in a good workout and have a chance to chat with all the other 'regulars' at Great Glen. Although it was the first ski week, it was also 55 degrees when I went out for my ski at 10am! It felt like summer. I skied in a light top, no hat, and was still boiling hot by the end of my ski. I had on univeral klister, which is a sticky goo for use with really wet transformed snow, and yellow glide wax, both of which are about as warm as you can get. I flailed a bit out there, as I haven't been out on klister yet this year, and it's always a different sensation from using regular hard wax, or from my waxless skis for that matter! My unofficial time was 29:19. Felt pretty slow and awkward, but we'll see...

No comments: