Tuesday, December 17, 2013

Snowshoe Run Day #2

I can hardly believe I'm saying this, but by the time I went out to run at 2:30 pm, it was 13 degrees and it felt practically balmy, at least compared to this morning's low temp of -8 degrees at 8:00 am. Amazing what can feel warm when you're comparing it to sub-zero temps!

Snowshoes in hand, I ran across the street and got my snowshoes on at the edge of the powerlines. The snowmobilers had been out and the trail was reasonably packed, so it was pretty good running. I hopped off the groomed trail onto Ryan's snowshoe loop, which was fairly packed but awfully narrow, at least for my liking. When I saw that the crazy Mt. A. xc ski groomer had been out and had groomed over from the golf course, I immediately jumped at the chance to get out of the trough and run on the groomed stuffed. Of course, the snow was groomed but very soft, so I was still sinking a fair amount, but still, it was pretty nice. I followed the grooming around holes 2 and 3 on the golf course and then looped back around to run up the back Mt. Ararat hill. At the top, I noticed the groomer had taken a left off into the woods which is the back of the Mt. A. hill loop. It was great fun! Then I took one last lap through the woods and along the powerlines before heading home. I ended up with 4 miles in 47:00, and man, my legs are feeling it after 2 days in a row of snowshoe running :-)

No comments: