Tuesday, December 24, 2013

Christmas Eve Festivities

Something about the holidays (and traveling) always makes me a bit nutty. I get frantic. I love being with everyone but all the shopping and logistics and everything else just make me feel a bit crazy. We were planning to have everyone (my parents, my sister, Rob and Morgan) to dinner tonight, and even though it wasn't a big deal, it was a big deal in my head. But of course, in the end, we got everything done on time, in good order, and we both even got in our runs! And really, it all turned out perfectly - dinner was great, the kids were great and we had a really good time. If I could only calm down the racing thoughts in my head ;) Ah, the holidays!

After some gingerbread baking this morning, I headed out for my run. I wasn't sure what the run would bring. We were fairly lucky here in Topsham - yes, things are icy, but we never lost power and I know the ice wasn't as thick as elsewhere. Still, it was looking a little iffy out there. But I was determined to have a good run. Plus, I really needed it ;) I decided to head to the river, thinking the trails would be safer than the roads, if only because there would be no cars! Where there had been no tracks, it was rough going. A layer of abrasive ice on top of now snowcone-like snow. Ouch - my ankles! Once I hit the xc ski trails in the woods, it was better but the packed snow was darn slick. By the quarry, ugh! Forgot running, I was walking. I almost gave up at the Heath and headed to the road until I saw a gloriously packed snowshoe path. Hurray!

The best running of the day around the Heath and out into the Cathance trails. I felt good, the woods were strangely beautiful with the ice-covered trees, and the running was decent, if still icy. Of course, I was averaging 13 minute miles :-) Lots of ducking under and skirting around trees too. Poor trees - hope it warms up soon so they can shed their icy layer! Back along the Heath, I decided to head out to the road instead of backtrack along the Quarry. The road was good running - the ice was tacky and mostly covered with sand. I took the powerlines in the last part of the run, which was a mistake. Talk about ankle busters!

Got in 6 miles of icy, crunchy fun. AND, lost a dozen screws! Wow. That is some seriously abrasive ice! Guess it didn't help that I am using the same shoes for a second season so we had to put in a second round of screws this season. Might have to use some superglue to hold them in for tomorrow's run!

Later in the day when everyone arrived, Sam and Morgan got to work decorating gingerbread cookies. Kept them occupied for quite a while - and oh so cute :-) Of course, not sure any of us would want to actually eat the decorated cookies - there was a lot of sprinkles and sugar being used! - but hey, it's the thought that counts!

Cute decorators :-)

Focused!

Finished product

The decorator at work

Sam and Pippi

Then after everyone left, Sam collapsed in bed and we headed back downstairs to bring Christmas to life, or drive Ryan crazy putting together the dollhouse. You know, either or :-)

Payback for all those nights his parents spent putting toys together for him ;)

But it all looks great! Hope that Sam loves it! And yes, we did get her the perfect soft little bunny stuffy too! 

Merry Christmas, everyone!




No comments: