Monday, December 16, 2013

Snowshoe at the Brad

Had to exchange a few things at Carter's for Sam this afternoon and that got me thinking... Hmmm... I'll be near the Brad. Maybe I should go and snowshoe there? I mean, why not? It would give me an excuse to not get up and out at 0'dark'30in the cold too. So, that is what I did. The sun was shining, the sky was blue, it was cold but not too cold, the pine trees were snow-covered, the snow was light and fluffy, and I had the park all to myself. I headed across the street to find a nice semi-packed snowshoe track on the Link. Someone had even been out on the big wooden snowshoes - a very pretty track! Of course, even with the track, my heart was still beating wildly at 13:00 pace :-)

There had been a few snowmobiles out on the Snowmobile Trail, enough to pack it and make the going a bit easier, but the snow was still pretty soft and loose. I headed up the hill, stopping briefly at the top to catch my breath and decide where to go next. Ended up continuing on the Snowmobile Trail until it started its descent, at which point I turned around. I didn't want to just go straight back down the Snowmobile Trail, so back at the clearing, I took a right onto Fox, where there had been some traffic. The trail wasn't as packed as the Link but it was decent running and very pretty. Ended up with 3.25 miles in 45:30. Nothing like snowshoe running to make you feel out of shape ;)

I think this week is going to be high on time and low on miles - a different sort of volume, but necessary when a lot of the running is on snowshoes!

No comments: