Sunday, December 11, 2022

Early December

Sam ended up staying home on Monday - she was definitely not in any shape to go to school and pretty much spent the entire day in bed. Poor kid. Then in the late afternoon, there was a message from the middle school that they were closing the school on Tuesday for a deep cleaning as so many kids were sick and out. Aie! Craziness! Honestly, for us it was nice, as Sam definitely benefited from another day of resting. 

With no school, I didn't have to be rush out the door on Tuesday morning so I headed out at 6:20 as the sky was just barely beginning to lighten and ran roads down to the river. A gorgeous neon pink and periwinkle blue sky greeted me. Whenever I'm greeted with an spectacular sunrise, I always end up singing Toad the Wet Spocket's line "Now open your big eyes and take in the sun rise..." and Tuesday was no exception. A lovely calm morning to be out. (6.6 miles)


Wednesday, while Sam wasn't 100%, she was good enough and bored enough to head back to school, and thankfully Ryan and I seemed to have dodged whatever nastiness she had come down with. I was working from home and even though I could have gone out for a run in the daylight, it was raining all day and windy, and frankly, I just didn't want to. So I didn't.

And then I didn't get out on Thursday morning either. Sigh. But I was able to switch my day around a bit so that I could leave work early enough to get out right at 3:00 for a run on the powerlines. Darkness comes quickly this time of year, and so I was treated to a lovely sunset in the final 1/2 mile back to the house. (6.7 miles)



Friday, I headed out into the Cathance to check out the water levels after Wednesday's rain. Slippery, sloppy trails, some foamy ice pancakes and a roaring river. (9.0 miles)






Got some errands crossed off the list in the afternoon, and then took Sam up to the Y for swim practice. First practice she'd been to all week! Walked around the track for the first half of practice. (2.2 miles walked)

Temps dropped a lot overnight and the wind was whipping on Saturday when I woke up. Definitely a double pants kind of morning! Ran the cart paths and down to the river and back, as at least I was partially protected from the wind that way. Three deer seen and a lot of icy spots. (8.0 miles)


Once I had showered and we'd both gotten some breakfast, Sam and I headed out mid-morning for a few hours of Christmas shopping. December is busy and really, there are not too many days left to get things done, so we did our best to cross some things off our list! And then we stopped at Frosty's to bring donuts home, and at Gelato Fiasco for some of their delicious December-only Gingerbread Cookie gelato before heading home for lunch. Yum! 

And then, just a few hours later, it was off to the Botanical Gardens with my parents for Gardens Aglow! We were all excited that they had shifted back to a walking tour this year after two years of the drive-through tour during the pandemic. It was incredibly busy, and honestly felt a bit like they were pushing too many people through, but as always, they really do put on an amazing show and the lights were spectacular! I really liked all the mushrooms they added this year. Such a fun holiday tradition! (1.1 miles walked)















Woke up to temps in the teens on Sunday and had a leisurely morning enjoying my coffee in the quiet darkness in front of the Christmas tree. Love that about this season. 


Finally got myself organized and headed out around 8:30 for a run on the powerlines. Lots of needle ice and frost heave-y uneven semi-frozen ankle-twisting sand and frozen mud to keep things interesting. Ha! 8 weeks after No Business, it seems like the body is finally coming back around to baseline. Happy to get in 10 miles for the morning and 40 for the week. (10.1 miles)



Then after lunch, Sam and I headed to Freeport for an early Christmas present - a 2nd ear piercing! It looks cute and she was very happy 😊









No comments: