Sunday, April 7, 2019

Another Busy Week

I was definitely feeling last week's miles when I headed out the door on Tuesday morning. Legs were tired and creaky. Running big(ger) weeks is important but frankly, let's face it, it's also tiring. At least for me! Still, it also (almost) always feels good to get out and move and it was a really gorgeous morning for an easy run around Highland Green. The horizon was aglow with a pinkish orange light and a thin sliver of the crescent moon hung low amidst the color. So pretty! Saw two deer. (5.0 miles)


Sam had a dentist appointment at the end of the school day so after that, we took advantage of being downtown and went for a fun walk along the river and across the swinging bridge! It was pretty windy and the bridge sure was swinging! 😀 Always good to get out with my girl 💗 (1.2 miles walked)



Laughing as the wind whipped our hair around! 

I will admit that I just did not want to get up and out on Wednesday morning in the cold rain/snow falling, so, well, I didn't 😬 

In the afternoon, it was home to meet up with all of the grandparents who had come up to see Sam sing in the spring concert. Is she a lucky granddaughter or what?! 😃 The kids did a great job singing and it was fun to watch Sam up on stage with all her little friends!


The Hat Song!


It was a late night and I didn't sleep well, but I'd already squandered away my rest days for the week so Thursday morning, it was up and out early anyway! Hit Topsham Heights for some hills. Glorious light this morning as I ran up, down and around the hilly neighborhood. (8.0 miles)



And at work, despite the fact that it has been a very cold start to spring, in the protected sunny spots along the building, I found one small grouping of blooming crocuses! Perhaps there is hope after all 😀🌷


Friday morning, I met up with Shannon for a nice run. Thankfully the gale-force wind that had been blowing all day long on Thursday had abated and while there was definitely still a biting wind blowing, at least we weren't completely blown away as we ran by the fields out along Highland!! 😂 It was great to run and catch up with Shannon again and we chatted the miles away. Saw a hawk and two turkeys but not much else. A perfect way to kick off the weekend! (10.7 miles)

When I picked Sam up later in the afternoon, we arrived home just a few minutes before Ryan, so he joined us for our afternoon walk. We went across the street and up along the powerlines, looping back on one of the trails through the woods before returning home. Still a fair amount of packed ice on the shaded trail, winter has definitely not deserted us yet! Oh, and yes, it was windy 😆 but nonetheless a good family walk! (1.7 miles walked)

Yesterday, I got up without a truly solid plan in mind. Ryan and I have been discussing my training and he thought I could pull off another big week, even with Traprock next weekend. I felt great running with Shannon on Friday but felt decidedly meh when I headed out into the damp and overcast morning on Saturday a little before 8:00 am. A thin layer of snow/slush was on the ground, having fallen before?/in the midst of?/after? the rain, and it was once again windy. See? Meh. I am ready for some nice warm weather, people, seriously!!

In any event, I put my earbuds in and headed up over Mt. A. onto the golf course cart paths. Still a big of snow/ice/slush on the top of Mt. A. and out along the cart paths, but the majority of the gravel paths are clear, if muddy, soft and wet. Ran the cart paths, got back on the powerlines and went back up and over Mt. A. and repeated the process. On the third loop, I ran the cart paths backwards and added in a loop around the Heath instead of running hole 4 & 5. Not exactly the best idea, as it was really too icy out on the trails to do too much running, but it was nice to mix it up a bit 😉 A fairly slow and rather uninspired medium-long run but I'll just keep on piling up those bricks with the knowledge that I'm building up a decent base of volume and consistency even if it always doesn't seem that way! (16.1 miles)

The early spring palette of browns and grays was fully on display along the Heath

Finished up the week with 10 road miles this morning. Sam had a last minute sleepover invitation at Anne's house Saturday night, so I was able to wait until the sky lightened to head out, which was a nice bonus! Stacking another 10 on top of Friday's 10 and Saturday's 16 makes for what I consider a solid week-ending block of training. The original and rather loose plan of 10 Friday, 20 on Saturday and 5 on Sunday might have been more traditional (if still slightly "backwards" in terms of a back-to-back weekend), but hey, I've always done my own thing when it comes to structuring my training (as Ryan would say, "uncoachable!" 😆) and I'm pretty happy to have had a nice mellow meander this morning that felt good and to get in another 50+ mile week! (10.3 miles)

And now it's off to pick up Sam so that she can come home and have a variety show practice with her two other friends later this morning!

No comments: