Friday, April 6, 2018

Midweek Blahs

For some reason, I've had a really tough time with early mornings this week. Work has been busy, I've been feeling a bit stressed and tired, and as a result, I only managed one early morning run this week. Sometimes the extra sleep just seems more important!

Tuesday morning I did get up and out in the darkness for a run. I decided to run the cart paths and Heath and was pleasantly surprised to find the cart paths about 90% clear and the Heath in decent condition with only about 30% snow/ice cover. What snow there was was tacky enough that no extra traction was needed on a rather crisp morning. Saw one deer, two mallards and a lovely glow from the sun rising as I was coming back along the powerlines. (7.0 miles)


Wednesday, I managed to stop my alarm and go back to sleep for an 1 1/2 instead of getting up to run. Oops. But it was cold and rainy and dark, and I really didn't want to anyway 😁 But I did want another solid week, so instead I left work a little early and came home and went out for a run in the rain and the cold, but at least it wasn't dark 😆 Not much more to say about that. (6.0 miles)

Thursday morning was another repeat of Wednesday but with no weather excuse so I just chalked it up to my body needing a day off. Which takes us to this morning when I was originally planning to get up early and out to run 20+ road miles before my massage with Lauren at 11:30 (I know, rough life!). But then I got to thinking, why am I rushing out to get this done and feeling stressed about getting back on time. I can run my long run Saturday morning when we have nothing other than some house chores on the schedule, and run shorter today. So I slept in a bit later and that is what I did 😉 Seriously, this is what Ryan means by uncoachable... 😂😂

I headed out around 7:45 am across the street. It was cold and windy (I see a theme here...winter just does not want to give up!) but sunny at least! I ran the cart paths and then headed onto the Heath between holes 5 & 6. The Heath has melted even more since earlier this week but there was a fair amount of water covered with a thin sheath of ice from the rain on Wednesday that made things interesting. I headed across the street down to the river where I found the trail along the river's edge basically a solid sheet of glare ice. Definitely a no go. I did get to see some lovely ice pancakes before I turned around though! So pretty and a surprise, since I wasn't expecting to see any more this season!





The remainder of the run was on the cart paths, a bit of powerlines (sketchy!) and roads to round things out. Felt good with my choice to swap my runs around and get out into the sunshine this morning! (10.0 miles)

No comments: