Sunday, April 2, 2023

Out Like A Lion

March has not played nice this year, and is definitely not going out like a lamb... more like a lion! Cold and windy all this week and honestly, leaving me feeling a bit blah when it comes to running. I really am looking forward to clear trails and some nicer weather. I know it is coming, but what can I say, I'd prefer it now not 3 weeks from now!?! HA! 

Monday, I got out in the afternoon for a walk on the powerlines. The high route is clear as it gets the most sun, but there is definitely still a fair bit of snow in the shadows and in the woods. (2.0 miles walked)

Tuesday, I got out for a run at 3:00 before having to sit back down at my computer for a 5:00 meeting. Breezy and definitely not a warm 47 degrees on my loop around Highland Green. (6.0 miles)

While I was on my work call, Sam and Ryan headed up to the Y for the swim team end of the season banquet. Sam came home with the Coach's Award for her hard work, good attitude and always smiling. Proud of this kiddo!😍

Wednesday, I needed the early morning quiet on a late start day to get a project done for work, so I planned to run in the afternoon. But, I ended up staying at work later than planned, and then Mom and Dad invited us to join them at Flight Deck for one of their Brews for a Cause, so it ended up being a zero day. This is why I really should run in the morning, people! Sigh. But in any event, it was a fun evening with yummy pizza and beer and time spent together, and there is always another day for a run!

And so it was that Thursday I was out running another Highland Green loop at 3:00 pm on a cold, feels like 25 degree, very windy afternoon. Brrr! And then it was back on the computer for another 5:00 work meeting... (6.0 miles)

Friday, I really just did not want to run roads again, so I decided to park over at the dump after doing some morning errands and check out the Gone Fishing trails and the powerlines. A cold but bright morning, with only a bit of wind. I ended up heading out on the powerlines first and then running a loop out on the Foreside trails before finishing up with some of the Gone Fishing singletrack. Definitely some bare ground, but also definitely still some snow and ice which required a bit of tiptoeing, and with the cold temps things were reasonably solid. Saw an eagle soaring overhead, one bluebird on one of the boxes out at the edge of the dump fields and several pairs of Hooded Mergansers in the Lover's Lane pond. Also a lot of skunk cabbage emerging in the wet spots, always a treat to see as the first plant to emerge in the spring! So, spring is indeed coming, it is just taking it's sweet time... (8.0 miles)





Sam went to Anne's for a sleepover on Friday evening and to be Anne's helper at her booth at the Woodside craft fair, so Ryan and I decided to head down to our "regular" spot at the bar at Enoteca. Always a treat to get to eat there, and it was a new spring menu - yum! 

Snow and rain fell overnight, and was just plain yucky out when I woke up on Saturday - rainy and 35 degrees - pretty close to my least favorite running conditions, which meant I chose to delay my run in the hopes that the radar would be right and the rain would ease up later in the afternoon. I finally headed out around 1:30. Still misty out but at least temps had hit 40, so it was a bit warmer and less wet than the morning hours 😂 I decided to check out the cart paths and run down to the river, and while it was squishy, wet, sloppy and soggy out there with some flooded spots and definitely still some snow and ice to contend with, it was nice to be able to run one of my 'typical' trail routes now that the snow is melting, even if slowly! Saw two deer and the first of the season trailing arbutus in the south facing sunny spot where I always look early in spring. 💗💮(8.0 miles)




Sam came home in the afternoon feeling a bit under the weather. Just a cold, but still... sigh... and when I woke up this morning, it was 35 degrees, feels like 27, and windy as all get out. Blerg. I was just not feeling it. I finally headed out mid-morning, rather unenthusiastically, onto the powerlines. It was bright and sunny, but with the wind and conditions, which were variable as anticipated, it was not the most pleasant run. Oh well. Tomorrow is another day, and I'll try to adjust my attitude!! 😬😑 At least I found some lovely skunk cabbage out there... (8.1 miles)


March wrap-up:

Miles run: 170.25

Miles walked: 11.48

Miles XC skiied: 11.22

4 zero days


YTD:

Miles run: 511.9

Miles walked: 50.7

Miles XC skiied: 18.1

16 full zero days

No comments: