Sunday, March 26, 2023

Early Spring

According to the calendar, it is spring, and while the arrival of the redwinged blackbird and all the birdsong in the air certainly signal the change of seasons, we are still very much in that in-between time, the shoulder season before what I consider to really be spring arrives. Temps ping-pong back and forth, we're not done with the snow quite yet, trails are still covered with snow and ice, and there is still a decent amount of time to go until the grass starts to green, the flowers begin to bloom and the trees bud. Always an interesting time of year!

Monday was a 5:00 pm walk around the school block with Ryan for a bit of movement for the day. (1.7 miles walked)

By the time I got out for my run on Tuesday afternoon, it had turned into a nice day and was warm enough for shorts! Ran the Highland Green loop and while the back road was soft and muddy, it, at least, was not a total mess! (6.0 miles)

Wednesday was the first time in *ages* that I actually got out before dawn for a run. Nice, calm morning with some pretty, soft light on the horizon as I crossed the Androscoggin. (7.0 miles)


Friday, I had to sit in on a 9:00 am work phone call, but thankfully Anne and Val were willing to wait and meet me for a later morning run. Such good friends 😊We didn't even try the trails, although we did make an attempt to head out on the powerlines, which were just sketchy enough that we turned around and stuck to the dirt roads off Lawrence for the rest of the run. Nice to have a chance to meet and catch up for a few miles! (6.2 miles)


After what felt like a long week, I think this photo of Gigi pretty much sums up how I felt by Friday evening 😹


Was feeling kind of meh on Saturday morning but ended up feeling good and running fairly smooth and fast once I got going. Who knows, but I won't complain?! Ran the River/Meadow loop, which I hadn't done in a while. Nice to do something different. (10.0 miles)


Then Sam and I made some yummy, although not quite as pretty as the magazine photo 😂, raspberry lemon whoopie pies. Always fun to take on a new baking project together 😋🍋


Ryan missed out, as he was headed back from skiing over in NH, but Sam and I joined Mom and Dad for dinner up at Frank's and enjoyed some tasty poutine and good food! Unfortunately, I didn't sleep great and woke up feeling pretty tired out this morning. The weather did not help matters. It had snowed overnight and a light mist was falling with temps in the mid-30s when I headed out a little after 7:30am. Definitely not the best as it was sloppy, soggy and slushy underfoot, and overall just damp and messy. But I just put my head down and got the miles in, with just enough completed to hit 40 miles for the week. (11.1 miles) 





No comments: