Sunday, December 8, 2019

2,000!

Was up in Bangor all day on Wednesday for a work conference and didn't quite have the umph to get up extra early to go out into the fray before I left, especially knowing things would be messy after Tuesday's snow. Wasn't even sure what I'd find Thursday morning, but there had been enough snowmobile traffic on the powerlines for me to allow me to get over to Highland Green Road. Wore my screwshoes and was glad for them, as the road itself was messy and a bit icy. Darkness the whole way. (6.0 miles)

Friday morning, I headed out right at sunrise, figuring I'd go wherever looked good. Wore my trail shoes and stuck my spikes in my pockets. Beautiful out on the powerlines as the sun rose.





It was a mixed bag of conditions, with some decent footing with the spikes on and some really soft snow. Did a bit of exploring before finally turning around, and heading back towards Highland Green. Veered off the road and did the short lollypop loop down to the river. Only one snowshoer had been out on the trails, so it was slow going, but pretty. Happy to find a few early season ice pancakes floating out in the river and even had a sighting of an eagle as he fly overhead! (10.0 miles)



Later in the day, I picked Sam up from school and we headed downtown for some gingerbread cookie gelato -yum! 😋🍨 - and Christmas shopping before dinner. A fun way to end the day!


Big, fat, fluffy snowflakes started falling later in the evening and I was surpised to find a rather heavy dusting on the ground when I woke up. Made for a really pretty morning but also meant conditions were rather sketchy! Ran out on the powerlines again, chasing the sunrise, before looping up into Highland Green and down to the river. No ice pancakes today but so pretty with the white snow atop the trees, and really just a gorgeous morning to be out. (6.0 miles)







Then it was off to the Y for Sam's swim meet and to "watch" the Western States lottery! Wasn't expecting much with only 1 ticket and a 1.2% chance of my name getting pulled, but I wore my finisher zip-up for some good vibes all the same 😉 And nope, I did not get in, but it was fun to watch the names roll by all the same and remember the feeling of excitement from last December when my name was pulled 😎


Butterfly!

Irene and Dana came up for the meet, and then Sam drove back to MA with them for Christmas tree decorating. A fun tradition for them. Got a few more errands and chores done once they headed south and then Ryan and I headed over to Frontier for drinks and an early dinner at the bar. Cheers to a night out! 🍷🍻

Only 2 degrees when I woke up this morning. Brrr! Definitely resulted in some procrastination 😂😁 but I finally got out the door around 8:00 am. In what is a very typical Danielle move, I scrapped my original plan and decided to just head out through town to the bike path and get in 15. Originally thinking of trying for 20 but I just didn't have the umph for it on such a cold morning. And that's OK. Felt pretty solid throughout the run and although it most certainly was chilly out, it was thankfully calm and the sun was bright, so I warmed up fairly quickly. The sun sparkled on the frosted trees and I had the bike path to myself. Everyone else must have thought it was too cold to be out! 😆 (15.0 miles)

Hit 2,000 miles for the year about 2 miles into the run - woohoo! - and finished up with another 40+ mile week so feeling pretty good about where I'm at, even if I haven't cracked that 20 miler yet! Next week 😜

Meanwhile, the kiddo was having fun decorating Irene and Dana's Christmas tree. She is the perfect holiday helper! 💗🎄








1 comment:

Leslie said...

We must be almost at the exact same mileage. I'm at 2,085 miles and holding. Haha. Hoping I will run again in a week or so, but it looks like it won't be much more than this.