Thursday, June 20, 2019

Heating Up!

Things are starting to get real here. June 29 is in the 15 day forecast. Auburn isn't looking terrible, but I'll take it with a grain of salt since no doubt the canyons are going to be quite a bit hotter!


I haven't had much of a chance to run in anything resembling close to hot weather, with the exception of the few miles we ran down in Disney last month, and I know heat training has been proven to be a useful training addition. 

Last Tuesday, swim practice was cancelled so I didn't get a chance to go into the sauna at the Y, and then on Wednesday when I did try, I felt incredibly anxious and claustrophobic and only lasted about a minute before saying F*this! and jumping out of there as quickly as I possibly could. 

So take two again this week and I was determined to at least make another attempt. Yes, I realize that one week of sauna-ing is likely not going to work wonders, but I also figure it can't hurt!

Tuesday morning I got out for a run on the cart paths, minus holes 1 & 2. Nice and easy. (5.1 miles)

Then during swim practice in the afternoon, I gave the sauna another go. Of course, there I was in my swim suit, standing anxiously right in front of the glass door in an attempt to thwart the claustrophobia brought on by the dark, wooden paneled, incredibly hot room and so that I could see the clock on the wall across from the door to gauge time spent sweating in the 190 degree heat 😱 when two ladies in towels, stark naked underneath came in and started lounging on the benches. 😂😂

Thankfully, one of them was nice enough to chat with me for a few minutes, assuring me that I would get used to the stifling air and come to enjoy a meditative experience if I sauna-ed for long enough, like she did! I'm completely convinced that there is no way that this is the sort of thing I'd do for fun but hey, to each their own 😉 and I was more than thankful for her kind words and the distraction!

Lasted 10 minutes and called it good. Better than nothing!

No running for me on Wednesday but Sam had a fun day at school with Step-Up Day into her 5th grade classroom in the morning (5th grade! How is that even possible?!) and then a walking field trip to Dairy Queen in the afternoon. Sounds like a good day to me!

Sam with her Maine studies map

I scream, you scream, we all scream for ice cream! 🍦🍦

Today it was out for a misty overcast morning meander down to the river and back. A pair of Canada Geese and their three goslings were out on the Heath and the bullfrogs were croaking away. One deer seen. Very peaceful. (5.2 miles) 





Then this afternoon, it was back into the sauna during swim practice. Lasted 12 minutes this time. 😆 And 12 minutes in the sauna is sure to prepare me for hours of running through the canyons, right?!

So speaking of that, in my nervous state, wondering if I've done enough, pondering my training, thinking about the course and all the unknowns, I've been re-reading my pre-race reports for other big races. The state of mind is the same no matter the race. This race just happens to be Western States, which makes it seem a bigger deal. And it is. The hype, the elites, the history, the prestige of running this course. It's all there. And it's real. And it's warranted, no doubt, and hard to believe that I'll be on this starting line in a little more than a week, most likely saying "this is nothing like those overpasses in Florida" and hopefully laughing to myself about it 💗



But as Ryan likes to say, it's just another gym... so bring it!




1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I love reading these posts, D! I've loved following along from the moment your name was literally old school pulled and throughout the training block. I'm glad I'm a dreamer as I'll be picturing you throughout every step!

Ann