Friday, July 20, 2018

Midweek Running

Slept in on Monday. I had originally intended to get out Monday through Friday this week as I knew I wouldn't be running over the weekend due to crewing Ryan at the VT100 and I had hoped to hit 40 miles this week but Monday just didn't happen. That's OK. Sometimes extra sleep is what is needed and another week in the mid-30s is fine too.

Tuesday morning I got up and out early into the foggy morning for a run on the cart paths. Kept the effort steady and didn't stop for any photos ;) Did see one groundhog and one Belted Kingfisher though. (6.0 miles)

Wednesday, I headed out onto the powerlines. I was hoping for a sunrise but it was too overcast. Too humid too. The weather app said 99%. Seriously. Talk about sweaty! Regardless, a nice run with lots of brilliant wood lilies blooming in amongst the brush and a few blueberry stops too :) (7.0 miles)


Yesterday, I took the day off to make sure everything got done before we head to VT this morning, so after dropping Sam off at camp at the Y, I ran the Whiskeag Trail out to Thorne Head. It's a great 5 mile trail that runs through the woods along Whiskeag Creek to its confluence with the Kennebec River. There are a few road crossings but otherwise, the trail feels fairly remote, especially for being right outside of Bath. Of course, it is also really really rooty and fairly technical, so, for me at least, it is just not fast running. But no matter, it was a lovely day with bright sunshine, no humidity (YAY!) and a nice breeze. The woods were quiet and shaded and it was a fun meander. I stopped at a few of the viewpoints and then once I got to Thorne Head, ran up the main trail to the overlook and then looped in and around and everywhere on the different trails to get in some additional mileage. I felt pretty good, and it was a great way to start the day because once I got home I was going a mile a minute baking and cleaning and packing for VT!!! (14.0 miles)

Always love this stretch along the horse field near Sewall Woods

Kennebec views

Thorne Head vista

Trail along the water

Stone Steps!

The current was flowing really fast today!

Lily pads

Joe pye weed along the edge of the creek. Saw an osprey fly overhead here!

Lily pad 💗

This morning, I was up and out early in the cool morning air. Really lovely out with crisp air, clear skies and a beautiful glow as the sun rose over the Heath. Ran the cart paths and added on the lollypop down to the river and back. A good way to kick off the day! And now it is off to VT! Looking forward to crewing and cheering and supporting Ryan in his adventure this year and to seeing all our friends out on the course too! (8.1 miles)

No comments: